How to remove the Moonroof shade?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John D

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
My 2001 trac has the fabric falling off the shade, cover, blind or whatever you call it that is used to block the moonroof window. Is there any way to remove the shade without pulling off the entire headliner? It seems like with the large rubber loop removed from the headliner, one could gently bend and remove the shade, but I can't figure out what is holding it in place on the sides in it's track. I figure I could hit it with some 3M Super77 once removed to put the fabric back on.

Had to do one not on my st but another car I have. I just lowered one side about 6-10in and was able to change out the shad. It has a full view sunroof

My 2001 trac has the fabric falling off the shade, cover, blind or whatever you call it that is used to block the moonroof window. Is there any way to remove the shade without pulling off the entire headliner? It seems like with the large rubber loop removed from the headliner, one could gently bend and remove the shade, but I can't figure out what is holding it in place on the sides in it's track. I figure I could hit it with some 3M Super77 once removed to put the fabric back on.
Might be an opportunity to take it all down and put up new material. I plan to do that for my truck. It's currently that light tan and has a couple stains. Going to get some black material so it looks cleaner

As luck would have it, I recently embarked on the task to replace the fabric on my shade cover. My headliner overall is in great condition - no problems. But the fabric on my shade cover began to sag and degrade due to normal use. I don't and didn't use my sunroof a ton, but eventually 1 slide back and it pulled the fabric loose and just downhill from there. After pealing off the fabric i began trying to figure out how to remove the shade cover without removing the entire headliner.

Was searching online and stumbled across another online resource that provided a subscription service for mechanical questions. They looked up tech manual instructions for the replacement and sent me the pdf. I've attached it below (Sport Trac Sunroof Slider). I've purchased a suitable replacement fabric from my local Michael's - it doesn't match factory color, but it'll work form me. Very affordable price for ~2yards of fabric - that's a no brainer... But I haven't gotten around to performing the job just yet. Just returned from vacation and targeting a day with no rain just in case i hit a snag....

But hope this helps you & anyone in the forum community at large.

Attachments

• Sport Trac Sunroof Slider Panel Dissassembly.pdf
    661.7 KB · Views: 0
This is perfect, thank you! I'll take a loot at my trac tonight, assuming the projected thunderstorms don't come:D

I just dropped the whole headliner for 1. The second one, I cut in half, Threw it out and limo tinted the glass...