How to spend $700 and Not Even Try

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Schaecher

Reaction score
Took the 96 Taurus in for work as it started making a funny new sound....

AC Clutch - Bad Bearings

EGR Vaccum Hose came off

Left and Right Front Hub Assemblies shot

That's $610 for that, not bad.

Needs a oil pan gasket as well, that can wait a bit longer.

Question: What causes a left-front crash sensor to go bad and what does it cost to replace?

Add to that, my ST needs a new battery and negative terminal... $85. Yippee!!

My center impact sensor of my Trac went bad. The catch,,, it is integral and the right front and left front are part of the same sensor.

So it was pricey through the dealer but I had coverage so fifty-bucks latter I was down the road.

You can get your sensor from these yards if you are still looking...

Air Bag Sensor

Ford Taurus LH - FRT A C0150 $45 Bruce Auto Parts - PRP, PRP-MA USA-VA(Mechanicsville) Request_Quote 1-800-552-3728 Request_Insurance_Quote

Air Bag Sensor

Ford Taurus $40 Discount Towing & Recovery USA-OR(Salem) E-mail 866-372-8628 / 503-480-8628

Air Bag Sensor

Ford Taurus ER98138 L 005 W7637 $35 Pete's Auto Wrecking RP+ Member USA-MI(Escanaba) E-mail 1-800-236-0170

Air Bag Sensor

Ford Taurus - LH-U BB063 $35 Lew's Auto Salvage USA-VA(Thornburg) E-mail 1-800-874-0620

Air Bag Sensor

Ford Taurus L K-132 $30 Harbor Auto Used Part Division USA-MA(Lynn) E-mail 1-781-593-3344

Air Bag Sensor

Ford Taurus L L-182 $30 Harbor Auto Used Part Division USA-MA(Lynn) E-mail 1-781-593-3344

Air Bag Sensor

Ford Taurus okay 00009629 $30 G & G Auto Parts USA-AZ(Phoenix) E-mail 602-243-2776 / 888-443-2776

Air Bag Sensor

Ford Taurus 4DR,FWD,3.0,AOD A FO6258 $Call Browning Auto Parts - KOLT USA-TX(Austin) E-mail 1-800-338-5191

Air Bag Sensor

Ford Taurus SW,,3.0L,AT, B 472900 $Call Capitol Auto Parts USA-PA(East-Bangor) Request_Quote 1-800-360-3131 Request_Insurance_Quote

Air Bag Sensor

Ford Taurus DUAL Q-5595 $Call J and B Auto Wreckers Can-ON(Windsor) Request_Quote 1-800-663-0183 Request_Insurance_Quote

Air Bag Sensor

Ford Taurus DUAL Q-5617 $Call J and B Auto Wreckers Can-ON(Windsor) Request_Quote 1-800-663-0183 Request_Insurance_Quote

Air Bag Sensor

Ford Taurus A PJ9621 $Call Barnette's Auto Parts USA-SC(Sumter) E-mail 1-800-669-4095

Does anyone know if a crash-sensor would be replaced free of charge regardless of age of vehicle and warranty status?

I ask because I have found that some safety devices are replaced free-of-charge like that.

TJR

TJR,

I think that you may be correct. Last year, I had a front crash sensor replaced on my 2001 Lincoln LS, and it didn't cost us anything. I think the dealer said that it was mandated by some federal law. I can't remember the particulars.

Perhaps one of our members who work at a Ford dealer (like psycareo) could check with their service dept about this.

You may want to look at the pan gasket harder. I had a '96 Sable, the leak turned into a GUSH instantly... The pan gasket under the crank pulley got sucked inside the engine, thus dumping the oil all over really quick...:angry: pulled the pan, cleaded it off, spooged it with ultra-copper permatex, and bolted back up, good for another 100,000 miles...

My center impact sensor of my Trac went bad.

can someone inform me of the purpose of a "crash sensor?" Correct me if I'm wrong, but its pretty easy to tell when you've crashed.. you know, the screeching of tires, the metallic and plastic 'crunch,'.....the neck pain.

Those are enough of a "crash" sensor for me

shaun t.:

It's what deploys the airbag in the event of a crash.

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but its pretty easy to tell when you've crashed.. you know, the screeching of tires, the metallic and plastic 'crunch,'.....the neck pain.

Airbags do not have ears and eyes nor do they have a neck.

Tom

No crashes. A lot of turds in the American Airlines parking lot in Tulsa though. Had the car less than a week and there were three-four scuffs in the bumpers... thanks guys. Love ya, mean it. Glad I bought it used.

I'm not worried about the cost of the part, it's the fact that the sensor is located between the inside bumper and the radiator that concerns me. $300 to replace a $50 part due to labor.

Now, if it's true that the dealers need to replace this kind of sensor under some sort of unlimited warrenty? Oh hell yes. We'll talk then.

$300 to replace a $50 part due to labor.

And you're surprised by this? That's how they make most of their money, on labor. Hell, if they're just taking five minutes to change your air filter it's usually a minimum one hour labor charge.

And even if there's a shortcut way to disassemble, remove the old part, install the new one, and reassemble everything, they have to go by the step-by-step instructions in the manual, because that's how the labor charges are built--based upon the time to do everything.

Latest posts