I am at a loss here.....help needed.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay, first a quick overview of the recent problems I have had and addressed:

1. Plugs were done as I had an issue with one of them, and had to retap cylinder #5. Wires were left in there. They are after market wires and may need to be replaced. I also replaced the fuel filter.

2. Shortly thereafter, I had a failed EPC solenoid. I replaced it, but while doing so notice that the "body" of my replacement one was missing a "groove" that was on the original one. Everything else looked fine.

3. After replacing it, all was well, it just shifted a little hard. About three weeks later, I noticed a hesitation when accelerating form a stop. I would press the gas, and there would be no response. after hammering the gas, it would jump and go. This continued sporadically, and then it threw codes for a misfire in cylinders 1,2, and 3.

4. I worked through that for a week or so, and last Sunday, I had the hesitation problem and when I hit the gas it backfired a couple of times and still had problems getting going.

5. I parked it and tested a few things today. The Ignition coil appears to be operating fine after being tested with a multimeter. If anything I think the readings may be high which could also be a problem for the plugs. If anyone knows the proper readings, please do let me know. The wires for cylinders 1 and 3 appear to be fine per a multimeter.

6. I found that the problem very rarely occurred when the A/C was not on. I will monitor this over the next week or so. I checked the voltage on the Alternator and the Voltage regulator and they appeared to be in range.

My thoughts are next to look at the fuel pump. It may be due. After that, could it be injectors? Any ways to test these parts? Any insight or ideas at this point will be helpful.

Bill

Grim,

I would get a set of OEM plug wires and swap them out first. Sometimes when removing the old wires the center wire can get partially pulled out of the plug connector and can cause the cylinder to miss fire. Always look back to what was the first thing that changed before the problem started. If your still having issues after changing the plug wires please E mail me I'd be happy to help.

Dennis

How many ohms per foot, on the plug wires? Oem filament type should be less than 4000 ohms per foot. Spiral core 150 ohms per foot.

hmm, when I tested them I was getting something like 8000 Ohms on the cylinder 1 wire, which I estimated to be a little under two feet. Could a high Ohms reading be bad? The Haynes manual said the secondary resistance on the coil should be between 6.5 and 11.5K, but I was getting a 13+K reading. Could that cause these problems?

Not an expert on these DIS coils. So I cant tell you if that is critical out of range.

If all the plug wires measure out in that range. That may be ok if they have some miles on them.

I would look into some spiral core wires. There are some trusted brands. I have found them at some parts stores. Without having to pay a premium, for a high performance label.

At one time pep-boys carried spiral core borg warner. Same resistance as taylor, jacobs or jba, etc. Less $$$.

What plugs did you use ??? what gap ???

I too would bet it is the wires or plugs, a cracked plug, OR something with the electrical side...

Can also check the fuel pressure..

Todd Z