I can't wait to see the next generation of Fords

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dre L

Reaction score
After a couple of hours on the firing line, Ford's engineers got defensive. Interrupting the testers, they started airing their side of the story in front of the new boss. Sensing that the meeting was deteriorating, Mulally says he handed each one a pad and pen. "You know what? Let's just listen and take notes," he said. The episode was a perfect illustration of what Mulally considers one of Ford's major problems: the tendency of employees to rationalize mistakes instead of fixing them. "We seek to be understood more than we seek to understand," he observes.

Ouch, that must have stung. Read the full article at the link below.

Funny, I just read this elsewhere seconds ago and thought of posting the article for that very same excerpt. Another article of interest mentions the Ford family seriously thinking of selling the company to outsiders.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a great article and an accurate representation of how things operate inside Ford. I especially latched on to the part talking about how people switch jobs within a year or two. This happens alot. While working for a Ford supplier on a new vehicle (one that is now one of their biggest sellers), over the course of 2 years, Ford switch the engineer in charge of our parts 3 times. Everytime we had to go back and rehash old issues that we had already put to bed because the new person was not familiar with the history. Huge wastes of time.

Fortunately for Ford, if anyone can change the culture there, it is him. I think they are very lucky to have gotten him. He is an interesting person. For anyone that is interested in business management, his book is very good.

Rocks

Fascinating read. It rang too true, as I am involved with Ford as well.

How come the article is dated June, 7 2007? Am I in a time warp? ;:wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope he kicks some butts out of their offices and moves some new blood in. i especially like the answer "An airplane has two million, and it has to stay up in the air."

It makes me think that if those 2 million parts can work why can't 10k work together for a long time.

i have been at companies in the electronics field that are no longer around. big part of it was the 'if it works don't fix it' which resulted in less r&d and the company no longer leading but falling by the wayside.