I hate these brakes!!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gavin, You have an 03 with 4 wheel Disc... the emergency brake does nothing to adjust the hydraulic brakes on your ST....

I am not saying you do this for that reason....

I never set my parking brake.... With the truck sitting out side in the cold, I do not need a cable or a shoe freezing on me...

There is a separate mini setup inside the rotor that is the parking brake on the 4 wheel Disc trucks...

Todd Z

I know it doesn't adjust anything on 4-wheel discs, but I was just pointing out that I set my parking brake every time I park my Trac. My wife always sets her parking brake on her Liberty too. We've never had frozen cables on either one.

Got it......

Todd Z

Funny-- when my Trac was new, the parking brake didn't hold worth a darn. Stomped to the floor, it was pretty much like not having a parking brake at all. Now it holds real good. Seems to have worn in with a better grip or something.

On a few occassions (maybe three times) I had to apply extra pressure because the Trac wouldn't slow down at the rate it normally would. Also, with several other cars I have driven I am able to apply the brakes lightly and hold it, and the vehicle will slow to a stop where I want it to. With the Trac I have to increase the pressure to finally make it stop otherwise it will slowly roll past the crossing lane.

Other than these two issues my brakes are holding up fine at nearly 25K miles. No squeeking, vibrating, or warping. In fact, I'm so satisified that I may opt to go OEM instead of expensive aftermarket ones when originals are up for replacement.

Last edited by a moderator:
at about 30,000 my front right caliper kinda "stuck" -- as in stopped floating back and forth---and wore one pad out and barely wore into the rotor. So i threw some new pads on the front about 8 months later the rotors were warped and it just shakes a little so i just live with it. Ill get some new ones one day.

Hmmm....all good info. One thing that I am guilty of is not torquing the lugnuts. I guess it's possible that this could be the reason. I never checked the rotors before I installed them either.

OK, now that I feel like a noob, what's the torque spec for the lugs?

Thanks for the info,

Matt

Todd,

I am on the ball, but I'm wondering about you??? :rolleyes:

v6viking said "1000 miles later and the truck feels like it's falling apart". I took that to mean that the brakes worked fine for about 1000 miles before it started shaking again.

If that's what v6viking meant, then why would replacing the front rotor stop the shaking for 1000 miles it the rear drums were warped?

I would agree that the rear brakes could be the problem if replacing the front rotors did nothing to improve the situation, but it appears that they worked fine for 1000 miles?

Does this make sense to you?

Perhaps we are just reading v6vikings post and just interpreting it differently

...Rich

I changed the pads on my 02 at around 30k. They were crappy to begin with. New pads have about 25% more surface area and stop much better. Haven't experienced any problems with the rotor though. (knock on wood)

67,000 miles on the original rotors. I am on my third set of PFCM pads though. I did swap out the OE pads at less then 3000 miles. The first set was worn out in 2004. I replaced them. I replaced them again in 2005 when I did the rear disk conversion. The pads were in good condition, but I wated to have new brakes all around.

Tom

Rich, It obviously took 1,000 miles to cause a problem, If he drives with his foot on the pedal or the rears are out it will take some time to over heat the fronts and re warp the rotors..

If thats what we where both saying just differently then we are both corect... :D

Todd Z

Todd,

A sticking caliper will easily cause the overheating and warping in 1000 miles or less.

But you're right, it depends upon how you interpret what v6viking said. :)

...Rich

Now I feel lucky after reading this thread... I've got 72K and still on the original rotors and pads... Now I do have a 5spd, and tend to down shift and not use the brakes until 30-35 MPH, I guess that when I'm doing my shocks this weekend, I should look at them and replace if necessary...

Allen,

Good eye. I didn't notice that I put the "K" after the 1000 miles. That should only read "1000 miles". I have made the correction

...Rich