I might not ever buy another vehicle.....

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark inLA

Reaction score
Let me first explain my background first: I have always owned only BMWs or Porsches since I turned 17 in 1981. Sometimes both at the same time. And while I loved my collection of Germany machines while I owned them, I kept upgrading and upgrading until I found them to be SO special that I didn't want to make any of them my daily drivers. So I bought a little Ford Ranger pickup for my daily drive, and was quite content......for a while.

As I drove my special cars less and less, I realized that I was getting too afraid to take them anywhere. Worried about where I would park, worried about valets, worried about getting more 100 oct fuel for the Porsche. Then my Ranger got totaled, and in looking for a replacement, I decided on a used '02 Sports Trac. A definite upgrade from the Ranger. Although the cabin was little noisy, I was soon hooked on the overall versatility of this vehicle.

By the time my '02 got out of warranty, I had sold all of my German machines, partly because I never drove them and partly because I had to make room for my new wife and baby. After driving one there was no doubt in my mind that I was going to get a new '07 V8 Sport Trac Limited.

I've driven the others....the Avalanche, the Hummer SUT, the Escalade, even the Ridgeline. To me, nothing really makes me happy like the Sport Trac. It's the perfect size for me, just the right styling for me, just the right comfort to me. It can do so much......and by simply adding a Kenwood nav system with handsfree and iPod control(see my library), it's the PERFECT all-around vehicle for me. Despite the appalling gas mileage, the fact that it will probably cost an arm and leg out of warranty (my '02 did), the fact that there are nicer, faster, more comfortable SUTs out there, I LOVE my Sport Trac, and want to keep it forever. I cannot say that about any Porsche or BMW I've ever owned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man I was a Toyota truck guy for 20 years. That was until I drove a Sport Trac while shopping for a Tundra. I crawed under the Tundra and Tacomas, crawed undter the Sport Trac. Drove the Tundra/Tacoma, Ridgeline and then the Sport Trac. When it came down to construction, workmanship and price the Sport Trac won me over. It is and has be the best vehicle I have ever owned. A joy to drive. Problem is, I treat mine like you treated your high end cars. My wife wanted me to haul some dirt. I said haul some what %$*#@ in my ST!

I might not buy another vehicle either, since Ford is supposedly going to a car chassis for the 2010 Explorer. Will that be the end of the Sport Trac?

Welcome!

The SCT Xcal3 tune by Torrie at fastpartsnetwork.com will help you increase the performance....whatever performance that may be.

I'd also suggest uncorking the super restrictive exhaust system.

If you like driving performance machines and want to upgrade the sound and performance of your V8, try a electronic exhaust cutout. It gives you the most free flowing design possible and you can shut it off when you have your family in the car! If I could do it all over again, I would probably have gone this route. Although...I love the sound of my Magnaflow system and so does my Fiance so I guess it's all good :)