I need advice/direction

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Please help if you can.

On Friday May 19, 2006, I heard a noise that sounded as though something was hitting my right front wheel.

After trying some other time consuming things I decided to take the vehichle to a store named Pepboys. During the last 6 weeks, I had spent approximatly $1300 to purchased rims and tires from this store. I had subsequently been towed there for a flat on the new tire.

The attendant at the store looked at the vehicle and decided that 2 studs were broken. He also stated it was an old break. I reminded him of my recent purchases. A second manager came to me and stated that 3 studs were cut off. He said that he found some play in my left hub. He said that he needed to give me an estimate of the cost to fix the hubs.

The following day I returned to the store to find that there was a mechanic laying under my truck hitting something on the right wheel with a household hammer. I have no knowledge of tire repair so I was alarmed. Many things happened within the 5 hour period while I waited. The manage said that they had to replace a rotor on that wheel. My final question to the manager was did you check to be certain that I not going to have the same problem on the other 3 tires. He stated, "We would have to take the wheels off to determine if the other studs were damaged."

Currently, I am overwhelmed. I have no confidence to travel the 85 miles a day to work and home in this vehicle. I have been pushed aside by this manager. He expressed that he is not a magician and he has no way of knowing if my problem will duplicate on the other 3 tires.

I don't know how a rotor relates to a stud. I don't know how a stud relates to a lug.

I have tried to picture in my mind exactly what happened to the wheel, but I keep coming up empty.

I believe that these folks were at fault for my tire deterioration, but I don't know how to put the thoughts together to say Pepboys needs to address my safety concerns.

Cee

If they were the last one's to do wheel work I would attribute the broken studs to them.? Why didn't they notice it before, maybe they over torqued the lugnuts and caused them to break?

Iam with the impresion that they over torqued the lug nuts and damaged the studs, when they did your tire and wheels..their fault...studs can be replaced without replacing rotors...they are selling you a line of crap...

If they say the rotors are warped, it is because they over tightend the lug nuts...

Get a lawyer fast. Sometimes they only need to write a strongly worded letter for you. Also you may want to call the Better Business Bureau. Since Pep Boys is a chain you may want to complain to their headquarters too. If you let them screw you, they're gonna screw the next guy too. Let them know your intentions, what you expect of them and that you are not satisfied.:angry:

Latest posts