I need everybodies knowledge on this one

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank Marano

Reaction score
I bought an 07 Explorer. On the gas cap it says " Ford recommends BP fuel". I know BP is British Petro but I wonder if Ford owns a stake of BP? Anybody know? ST'ers unite and scowl the internet. Ford wouldn't just put this on their gas caps without SOME sort of monetary payback!!!! :D

Snopes can't solve this one! :lol:

So does this mean that if you don't use BP fuel, they can void certain parts of the warranty?? "Your fuel pump failed because you were using Citgo fuel."

BP and Amoco are 1. Citgo is owned by the venezualan dictator.

Last edited by a moderator:
my brother in law's stang has that, I couldn't stop laughing.

No worse than the "Mobil 1 factory fill" stickers though.

BP also is a leading supplier of the fluids and lubricants that keep Ford's factories running.

Price break on your plant supplies.

Last edited by a moderator:
About 15 yeas ago, GM claimed that some brands of gasoline did not contain suffient quantities of detergent additives, and the fuels did not meet federal "Vapor Pressure" standards.

Insufficient detergents tends to foul the fuel injectors prematurely, and the fuel vapor pressure effects drivablilty issues like rough idle and stalling.

GM threatened to make specific brand-name fuel recommendations. Three that did pass the test were Mobil, Shell, and Chevron.

Ford may have experience similar problems that GM had, but they can only make recommendations. According to the Magnuson/Moss warranty act, If they require you to use a specific brand of gasoline to maintain your warranty, they must provide that product free to the vehicle owner. I don;t think that Ford wants to buy everyones gasoline, just so it's BP.

...Rich

I wonder if they put that on the canadian ones as well. I have not seen a BP station in Alberta.

Well, I can say this, BP does seem to sell the "best" gas. Our race car runs on 93 Amoco and it does well, it ings on anythign less and with any other brand. Same with a guy's tuned BMW at work, pings on anything less then 93 Amoco.

I'll bet it has something to do with BMW, General Motors, Honda, and Toyota's recommendation to burn "top tier" gasoline.

Sorry, but I trust the TopTier standards a whole lot more than just a consumer attitude survey for my gasoline.

I use the cheapest crap I can buy. Still runs great and I save money doing it. Top Tier fuels is a joke.

Tom