I quit my job...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Fazzina

Reaction score
I haven't been on this site in a few weeks now but I figured I would give everyone an update. I left my job last week. This was after I acused my manager of discrimination due to my disability. I sent an email to HR and sure enough I had a meeting with the head of HR the next day. How intimidating is that? Now matter what I said or how right I was with all the info I had....it was like going to war with a pea shooter. This was the second to last week of June. Mind you now that I have been written four time in the following two weeks for things everyone was currently doing. I just couldn't take it anymore. Ever since my first seizure (The first I have ever had at work in over 15 years) on February 26th, I have been dealing with nothing but absolute cr@p from management. I know I am a liability to them. I had my job taken away from me and I was demoted to the worst shift available there. Four plus months later I decided that it was time to leave. Screw them. My fiance said it was the best thing I ever did there. So if anyone is in the CT area and has some work for a talented chef/warehouse inventory guy...let me know. I interviewed at the VA hospital in West Haven for a food service manager postion almost 3 weeks ago. The woman there said she would call me back in 2 weeks. Hey at least I am in better spirits and am not as depressed as I once was. Anyway. I since have disconnected my email so I will occasionally check the site at the library. If anyone would like to get a hold of me you can call 860-205-8231. I may let it go to voicemail (unfamiliar number) but once I know I'll set you up. Thanks guys and gals. Your support over the past four months is and has been greatly appreciated. :)

Mike Fazzina

If you were written up 4 times for the same things others were doing, it does not change the fact that you were written up.

You may have a claim as to if the others should be written up, but if the write ups were legit and or APPEAR legit, there is very Little you can do about them.

If you can PROVE the schedule changes were due to your disability they you MAY have a claim. I say MAY because if your seizures can have a safety effect for you or others then they have a leg to stand on.

From the little we know of your situation, it does not sound promising from a legal standpoint on your behalf.

All that said, sometimes leaving a job is the best thing that will happen to you.

I left a family business and suddenly my health was better, my marriage better, and I was making REAL money,,,, what a concept....

I agree in part w/ coastaljoe. I quit my retail job, and my stress level went way down when I'm away from work. Of course all jobs do come w/ some sort of stress, the difference is if you can leave it at work, or if it comes home w/ you. Good Luck, when 1 door closes, 1 will open up, and it usually is better for you!

If you're religous like me, I like this quote:

"God will not take you to, what he cannot take you through"

Mike,

Sorry to hear about you quiting your job. Now was probably not a good time to do that, but I understand that a guy can only take so much for so long.

If you can document their descrimination because of your handicap/disability, you may be able to sue them for discrimination. It may have been better if they fired you, but if you have a solid case, you may be able to prove that they delieratly drove you out of your job.

It all depends upon your state labor laws and if your state is a "Right to work state" In most states it is illegal for an employer to fire, harrass or discriminate against anyone based on Sex, Religion, or physical handicap. The first two are often harder to prove, but discrimination against a handicaped/disabled worker is much easier since the employer has to make reasonable accomidations to keep the handicaped worker in his postition. Depending upon the nature of your handicap, they must try to accomodate you whenever possible.

I would advise you to talk to an attorney and tell him everything that they did to harass or inconvience you. He/She will be more knowledgable to advise you if you have a case. Also, be aware that if you do file suit against your former employer, most states require you fail a discrimination repoer with your state's Department of Labor or Human Resources within 90 days or so. So be sure not to miss that critical deadline or your suit may be thrown out. It is possible that the company can even be fined by the state for discrimination as well as paying you for lost wages and pentalties, etc. And you may not even need to file suit

...Rich

Sorry to hear about your trouble, Mike.

We all know why you were fired, but fighting it would probably not win you anything either, so probably best to shake it off and be thankful you are not working with those a-holes anymore.

I agree with Andy- keep your head up and keep trying. A better job will come and you will come out better in the end.

against a handicaped/disabled worker is much easier since the employer has to make reasonable accomidations to keep the handicaped worker in his postition.

But, where a disability presents a bona fide danger to coworkers, etc., the employer has a defense.

they must try to accomodate you whenever possible.

Accommodations need only be reasonable, taking into account cost, coworker safety, availability of other positions that would lessen danger (and even if there are other positions), etc. In addition, if certain standards/qualifications are regarded as necessary for a job, the employer has a defense.

On the other hand, one doesn't have to be fired to implicate a statute. The action bust be an "adverse employment action." In addition, depending on the level of retaliation, an actionable claim may lie there, too.

Richard L is right as to your state's DOL/EEOC or similar. Usually 90 days from the adverse action, but if there is a continuing harassment situation, it's often from the last episode in the series of harassment.

In short, if you're motivated enough, see an attorney sooner than later. As of today, you have less than 90 days to get any ball rolling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike,

I know how you feel, something to keep in mind.

They won.

Next time, find a job that requires union dues to be paid.

Tom

I am sorry as well, but then again. Its good news. It wasn't working for you and it was best to get out why you still could. I also agree, find a career that requires union dues to be paid.

Might want to even look into getting into either a County/City/State job. They are about the best you can get. (Thats coming from experience)

Good Luck on your new found Journey and Take care.

Mike,

Sorry about your job......I know first hand how frustrating things like this can be. Looking for a new job sux and can take it's toll on ya.

You might try some of those placement companies, they find a job that suits your exp and get you the interview, so you don't have to spend hrs on end looking yourself. Many are temp to hire. But the good thing is it doesn't cost you anything. The companies pay the placement service the fees.