I see why Chrysler is going out of business

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Fenwick

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
I went to the Jeep dealer, the chime in my wifes '95 Grand Cherokee would not shut off until about 10 min of driving. The service writer said they don't work on electrical systems over 10 years old. He said that Chrysler deleated all electrical info after 10 years. Is this how they push to sell new cars?

So I went home and removed the chime unit. My question to you guys is, without knowing what caused the chime to stay on, am I hurting anything?

Thanks for your help Ed

Wow, that's ridiculous! 'Course most Mopar bodies/interiors have fallen apart by 10 years. They have great drive trains, for the most part, but the rest is sad.

I'm not familiar with Chrysler chime warnings but I'd guess its a door ajar, seat belt or ignition/key warning. In those cases disabling the chime hurts nothing ....... but your opinion of Chrysler.

Great drive trains? My wife's family is nearly 100% Chrysler since I met them 13 years ago... Since then, 3 transmissions and 2 engines later.... they still drive Chrysler (nothing newer than a 2002 though):

- 1993 Dyanasty - Transmission, Engine

- 1992 Spirit - Transmission

- 1997 Talon - Transmission

- 1997 Intrepid - Engine

So maybe they have gotten better... maybe?

This policy is quite normal in the automotive industry. When I worked for a Sterling/Western Star/MB Unimog dealer, we had the same thing. Now that I work with motor homes, we have the same problem too, and sometimes the time period that the manufacturer keeps records is even shorter. I just don't understand why they weren't willing to help you out. You would think they would have a technician or two that have been working on the same vehicles for years, and would know your problem without even looking. That is often the case with our very experienced technicians.

Brett

Actually a buddy and I were talking about this. I believe Ford's data is archived. Still obtainable by dealers. I know a friend had his 92 Mustang GT to a dealer for an Air Bag light and the found the problem through Ford's manuals and replaced with a new Ford part through the replacement procedures recommended by Ford.

Actually, most automobile manufactureres do not stock parts for vehicles over 10 years old, and do not keep repair manuals for vehicles that old as well. That's not even a new practice, and has been going on since at least the 1940's or 1950's if not longer. That's when cars rusted out or fell apart in about 3 years. I had a 1971 Chevy Vega that had the tops of the front fenders rust throught in 2.5 years. I had to buy new fenders and repaint the car and I was still paying on the original loan.:(

...Rich

I don't find that unreasonable at all. Why don't you invest in a service manual for your own vehicle if you plan on keeping it longer? You can also join oline forums like this one that have a wealth of knowledge about your vehicle.

Richard L said:
I had a 1971 Chevy Vega that had the tops of the front fenders rust throught in 2.5 years. I had to buy new fenders and repaint the car and I was still paying on the original loan.

Ah, yes; the early 1970s. The beginning of the end for the big 3. Your example explains just why!

TJR

This is why alot of the Ford (small family owned) shops are doing work on other makes and models to keep their businesses going.

A good Service tech can find the information and parts and has all past years manuals. That shop was being lazy and didn't want business. They deserve to be hurting.

Try and find a body bushing for a 1996 Taurus... That was not the easiest thing to do. Had to go with a used, slightly worn one. So yeah, I know how this goes.

Latest posts