I Value S. Trac'ers Opinions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MARVIN McINTYRE 2

Reaction score
Trac'ers, I have tranny problems that my Ford dealer quoted at $3,323.00 for my 01' ST. They say a new tranny, but I want a second opine on it. However, I have a lead on a used tranny from NY Block with 15,000 K for $650 w/ 6mos. warranty. NY Block also has a remanufactured one for $1,550.00 so my question to you all is should I opt for the one with 15,000 K, or ante up the $1,550? Economics have a lot to do with it, so help me out here. Should I feel good with a used trannny or go with one for more money? Thanks for your advice. My 01' has 116,989 and showed no symptoms of a problem ever. I wasn't even driving it when the OD light came on, I had just cranked it up to run an errand. Oh well....I still love my ST!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd go with the used one in your case. With only 15,000 miles, a used tranny should be a good bet, especially if they are giving you a 6 mo. warranty.

Since the used trasnny comes with 6 months coverage I would not be afraid of the used tranny. I assume the rebuilt tranny comes with one year coverage. Basically your paying 800 more dollars for 6 more months of coverage. Not saying it is not worth it, just something to think about.

Also, if one does have coverage for the labor that is something to think about.

I would NOT go with Ford Way too many doillars.

Bill-E That was fast! I kinda want to go there with the 15,000 K. You have pined in on several of my posts, so I do appreciate your thoughts. I wanted to get some opines before I called to set up the buy. Will let you know later what went on.. see you at a later post!

Thanks to you too, CoastieJoe. Yes it does have parts and labor up to $45.00 per hour, so it's a go! I will keep you and all others posted. I already have a shop that will install for about $300 + fluid.

I definitely would go with the used $650 tranny. In my opinion it is a no brainer. The main problem with the 5R55E, as I understand it, is the 2-3 flair caused by a gasket failure or shift solenoid. The rest of the tranny seems to hold up fine. The new trannies or rebuilt might not be as reliable in the sense that what is call "infant mortality" might occur. If I were you I wold go with the used one. Either way good luck with your tranny problem. BTW you might get some money from a tranny shop for your old one. It definitely can be rebuilt and should be worth a few bucks .

Guys, I just completed the transaction to have a "newsed" tranny put in my 01' Trac. Thanks again, and I will be letting you guys know the outcome asap. I will be making sure that everything is hooked up, bolted, plugged and whatever else there is to getting it back up and rolling as I have been without driving it for almost a month or so. But I do have a trusty ol' 91 Eddie Bauer to drive till then. I have seen so many Trac's that I am jealous that I'm not in mine! LOL!

Ebay has them for 700-800 completely remanufactured.... 12/12 warrenty....

With your 300 install, that would be under 1K.

Todd Z