I'd like to meet the designer...(rant)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn stonbraker 2

Reaction score
Boy would I like to meet the designer of the ST and put him out of MY misery!!!! I just put new spark plugs in and after 2 hours and enough of my DNA left inside the passenger side of the engine compartment, I'm about fit to be tied!! I had 45k on my 2003 and figured before they got "cemented" in there I'd change them out. I did go into it knowing that it was tough but holy sh*t, that's insane! I did go with Bosch +2 platnums so hopefully it'll be awhile before I have to do it again. I looked at my wife's Mountaineer and it has the same engine and I could get to all plugs WITHOUT going through a wheelwell.(thank god) Good thing I'm not a mechanic anymore. I'd hate to be a costumer that would want me to do it now. I did get it done though and it does run great (had a very small hesitation on takeoff) Sorry for the rant but just wanted others to know that it isn't a real fun job to do. Anyone know of an easier way that doesn't take having to give a skin sample?;)

Bite the proverbial bullet on this one - take it to a shop, pay the ransom, go have a few beers while it's being done. When you get back to the shop, you can say "Good thing I'm not a mechanic anymore". In the end, you'll be happier (or, at least, less unhappy).

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh it's not that bad. Besides, you have the satisfaction of knowing someone didn't change the easy 4 and leave the 2 old ones in the back.

All new cars are designed this crappy in regards to workspace.

Usually I have nothing better to do. However, I think my next spark plug change will be at the shop! I'll pay somebody to do that. I need some A/C juice anyway. Might go this week!

Could remove the fenders........

Todd Z

I like the idea of removing the fenders. How long do you think that would add to the overall time? I guess if I used a cutting torch it wouldn't take to long. I could always practice on the designer's vehicle right?;)

I tried to change my pluges and wires a couple of weeks ago. I got all the left side and the front one on the right before giving up. My local Ford dealer charged me $110.00 to do the other two. The mechanic told me that you have to change them from underneath using a lift.:(

Remove the wheel. You get access to the hard plugs that way. Try changing pluge on a transverse mounted V6. That is hard.

Tom

Be glad you don't own a Lightning. Changing the plugs requires special tools and several hours worth of work. It's such a hassle that most people just pay the high hourly rates to have the dealer do it.

BTW, to change the passenger side plugs in my '86 Aerostar (3.0 V-6), I had to remove the right front tire, so this is nothing new for Ford.

Outa try and change them on a LT1 Trans Am, or Camaro:wacko:. I have to lay down on my engine bay and twist my arm in positions I never imagined to change the Pass side and their all hidden to the eye. I looked at my Tracs plug access the other day and didnt think it looked all that bad, but the pass side definatlely looked worse, so we'll see. Not to bring bad news either, but I have heard nothing but bad things of the Bosch plugs, but I hope yours last a long time.

I've always known Fords (and most other American makes) to have very cramped engine compartments, except for the big trucks. Even they can be a little tight sometimes. At least the suffering you endured will serve as a warning to the rest of us.

Late 70's Mustang II v8 or Chevy Monza v8. Had to lift the engine a few inches in either case to get to the back plugs.

Nobleman said: All new cars are designed this crappy in regards to workspace.

I have never seen these issues on Japanese cars.

There seems to be plenty of room under the hood of this V-8 Tundra.

6e9aa66eb0a8115cd40c77fc7e694c07.jpg

Latest posts