Idle Assistance

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woppy V

Reaction score
Recently, something odd has been happening when I stop. With the engine warmed up I am idling at 900 rpms and when I come to a complete stop at a stop sign or light every so often my idle will spike up to 1,200 or so. When it does that my ST will jolt forward because I don't have enough preassure on the brakes to keep it still which has me concerned about hitting someone in front of me. When the spike happens I can hear something engage under the hood and when it disengages the spike calms down. Is my Idle to high? Any ideas what is happening here?

Woppy

I have this same problem...

Its like a click, I think it is the HVAC, but is that normal?

Mine actually goes from 900 to 1200 then to a stall once in a while... Im currently trying to find out how to fix this. I actually took off the battery cable for a while today, and re-did some of my stereo wiring, and it hasnt stalled out yet, so maybe this is a fix for it?

Whatever it is, its annoying! :)

Its like a click, I think it is the HVAC, but is that normal?

It is normal for the HVAC to make a clicking noise. I recomed cleaning your throttle body and cleaning your ISC Valve.

Tom

Yes thats the High idle kicking in when your AC compressor inguages...

It is slightly normal, You can adjust the throttle body a little and see if that helps...

I wish my truck would idle that high, I have to re flash my truck to do it...

Mine sits around 500 RPM and it sucks..

Todd Z

I will clean the throttle body and IAC tommorrow. Anything out of the normal always concerns me and the extra gas I burn is a noticeable to the ole bank account. But as long is this is 'normal' I feel better about the situation. Thanks all.

Woppy

i have the same problem...

i have no solution for it either...im not much of a mechanical genius so i plan on just mentioning it to the worker next time it needs maitenence.