Idle Speed after IAC and Throttle body cleaning

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benny Kearns 2

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just completed these two projects (2003 ST). Seems the idle speed is up a bit. Unfortunately, I do not have a Tach. Is there any reading on the dash tach I could exepct to see? Right now before warm up, it is just past 2K. After warm up, it goes down to 1.5K. I also noted that the idle screw does not seem to have been moved by accident (still got the yellow paint on the threads intact).

thanks in advance.

Benny

My o4 idled at 750 with a call out of 720...

My 03 was told to idle at 600, but it was too low after all the mods, I raised it to 800, all is good now..

When you clean the throttle body you remove the black seal ford puts there to seal the throttle body at idel.... According to them the throttle plate should be completely sealed to get the proper idle, Unfortunately that can be too low. So then they give a spec of 1 thousandth of a inch clearance between the throttle plate ad TB...

If you get a slightly raised idle it is better than a lower one...

Todd Z

All of the above mentioned idle speeds are with a warmed up engine. A cold engine on a cold day will idle considerably faster 1000-1200 rpm or higher until the engine is warmed up and the idle speed should come down to the 700-750 RPM range.

...Rich

Todd what mods did you do, that you have to raise the rpm. -Don't want to take over the thread.- Mine is running at 628 before it stutters, not bad tho. May have to raise it after the e- fan to 650._Ron

Ron, after all the stuff was installed, IT could have even been the tune that was in there from Wayne at Hippil, My factory stock tune was lost But thats what i had to do...

I have the rear timing chain rattle below 750 rpm, So I had to raise my idle to 900..

Works like a charm..

Todd Z