Ignition tumbler/linkage issue?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwbenner

2002 Sport Trac, 315,00 miles and still rollin’
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Hello all!

2002 ST, 320k miles, 4x4, no codes. The other day I was in a hurry moving the vehicle in the driveway, and I kinda slammed the gear selector into park and quickly shut off the key....but the tumbler would not rotate to the full "off" position allowing me to actually remove the key. I rolled the key/tumbler forward and the truck started, so I tried shutting it off and the tumbler would still not fully roll off allowing me to remove the key again. I tried the various positions of the gear selector, tilt wheel position, turning the wheel while trying to roll ignition fully off, etc. etc. etc but nothing worked. Since we were heading out of town I just took the key off the keyring and left it in the ignition....

When I got back to it, I figured the tumbler was bad as for the last 6 months or so, I would have to occasionally roll the ignition tumbler against the spring loaded start position a few times to get it to crank the starter (don't think clean the contacts on starter, think ignition switch issue). As such, I ordered and got another tumbler, just tried it, and the same thing happens....meaning I cannot get the new ignition tumbler to roll to the full "off" position to allow me to remove the key. So....I'm thinking there must be failure in some type of linkage somewhere? Its a "mechanical" like stop when trying to roll the ignition to an off position, like something internal to the ignition design is failing/blocking me from fully shutting off the tumbler. BTW, once removed, the tumbler will freely rotate and allow me to remove the key.

I dropped the panels beneath the steering column and removed the starter switch hoping that it was my mechanical block, and even after removing the starter switch which then lets the tumbler freely move in any direction....the tumbler will still not roll backwards far enough to let me remove the key. I also used a probing tool to move the plastic slide underneath the column (where the starter switch pin fits into), and it moves freely frontwards and backwards as well, but seemingly not backwards enough (toward the steering column) that would allow key removal.

I still believe there is some kind of mechanical block/break within the housing where the tumbler fits into, but I just don't have the knowledge of its internal workings to know where to go next. So....if anyone has any intel of the mechanics that go from where the tumbler end fits into the ignition socket and rotates "something" to engage some relay, please let me know. I believe I will need to tear something more apart, but don't know where to start.....

I've read though old posts...and haven't found this issue yet.

Thanks, RB

Last edited:
Watching this thread to see if anyone else has answers. I have a 2007 and I have noticed that if my keys get moved slightly by turns or bumps my interior lights will come on. At first, I thought it was my dimmer switch at first. I accidently moved my keys and realized that is when the lights changed. I looked on RockAuto.com for parts and found two electronic switches that are part of the ignition and I have purchased them to change. As soon as I a able to get it done I will post where they are located in case the Gen 1 has them in the same or similar location.

Watching this thread to see if anyone else has answers. I have a 2007 and I have noticed that if my keys get moved slightly by turns or bumps my interior lights will come on. At first, I thought it was my dimmer switch at first. I accidently moved my keys and realized that is when the lights changed. I looked on RockAuto.com for parts and found two electronic switches that are part of the ignition and I have purchased them to change. As soon as I a able to get it done I will post where they are located in case the Gen 1 has them in the same or similar location.
Funny as I just installed a ignition switch on my 2010. Driving it the keys moving around would make the light cone on. Bought a motorcraft ignition switch on Amazon $44.00 took 5 minutes to install and my flickering dome light has gone away.

Funny thing my 2012 mustang did the same thing. Same switch also...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240130_075320_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240130_075320_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    425.6 KB · Views: 0
Funny as I just installed a ignition switch on my 2010. Driving it the keys moving around would make the light cone on. Bought a motorcraft ignition switch on Amazon $44.00 took 5 minutes to install and my flickering dome light has gone away.

Funny thing my 2012 mustang did the same thing. Same switch also...
Very cool, glad to know I purchased to right part already!

So the issue with my ignition was the actuator rod that is buried deep in the steering column. You have to pull the column, disassemble some of it, and then change the actuator rod......lots of work for a small cheap part! lol

Latest posts