I'm having cargo issues

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather inOC

Reaction score
Okay I'm having an issue with the amount of bikes I can carry on my trac since I can't use the roof rack because I'm not strong enough (or tall enough) to get my mtn bike on my roof. I'm really picky about how I transport my bikes, so I hate those hitch racks that cram 4 bikes together and they rub and bang against each other. I have 1 hitch mounted tray bike carrier that holds 2 bikes, and then I normally carry 2 in the bed on the Thule Bed Rider. Now here's my dilemma- I need to carry 5 bikes, 5 people, and luggage for a weeks worth of travel. After I get all the bikes in the bed there's no room for bags. I really don't want to get a basket for the top, so I was thinking of something like this:

[Broken External Image]:

Anyone tried one on the trac? Or is there something comparable (as far as function) out there that would work better?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

-Heather in OC

I know your not into rigging things on the Trac, but you could get the roof rack clamps and simply use a 2x4 in the the 2x4 slots in the bed and mount the bike rack to that.... ( no cover obviously).

Looks like that one would not have the cover on either..

Todd Z

I do have the racks the bikes sit in. They were mounted to OEM roof racks on the Trac. If you think they will help you let me know. I'd sell them at a very fair rate. I no longer own my Trac..

(NOT the roof racks, only the bike rack and ALL hardware that goes with them).

[Broken External Image]:

I have a two-bike rack that slides into the hitch. That plus two in the bed would get you four. Anybody traveling with you that could lift one on and off the roof? Otherwise I agree with Eldon, get a trailer.

Hi Heather.

Going to Sea Otter? I have carried 5 bikes up there in my Trac. But only 2 people and luggage.

Try Draftmaster. See link below. They have a 4 bike hitch mounted carrier. I have used the 3 bike carrier with no rubbing problems at all. You would probably need the four because you wouldn't be able to drop the bed to carry bikes. If you are going to do this only once, it may be too spendy.

Maybe see if you can mount the bikes sideways on the rails. Forks down and wheels on the rails, Heel to Toe. You might have room for luggage underneath the bikes and to the rear that way.

If you get desperate, I think that I have a soft luggage roof top carrier in the garage that I have never used. Still in the box. Yours for the postage if you want it. I think it's called a "Kanga roofpouch" or something like that. Let me know and I'll check it's dimensions.

Lou...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Heather. I use a Saris Cycle-On rear tray type rack. It holds 2 out of the box, and is expandable to hold 4. It holds the bikes by the wheels, so unusual frame geometries aren't a problem. The downsides are the price of the carrier and the weight (it's a bit on the heavy side).

Heather, visit the Projects section of the web site, click on the "Cargo" category at the top. Couple of projects in there that might give you ideas.

Latest posts