I'm lost.. don't know what to do... about to give up..

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Yee

Reaction score
It's quite strange that no one has ever heard of this problem..

I've noticed these things.. my rpm's in drive idles around 600rpm, in neutral it is about 1000rpms and in reverse it sits around 600rpm... i threw it into reverse and the rpms dip up and down between 650rpm and 200 rpm... after a while with the brake on it eventually stalls..

I tried it again and this time i gave it gas and tried to reverse fast... it goes, but the rpms don't go above 1200rpms.. I probably hit close to 20kph in reverse but the rpms just don't go up.. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA AT ALL?!?!? :wacko::blink:

I pinned the gas pedal and it was like it wasn't getting any gas or air..

I already wasted 300 dollars on a mechanic to do a diagnosis and say it was the IAC motor which in the end it wasn't.. he said he didn't think it was a mechanical issue with the tranny or torque converter

Last edited by a moderator:
You might want to check your Idle Air Control Valve. You could clean it or buy a new one.

My boyfreinds truck did that to and thats what happen to his

Take it to a dealer and have them fix it. Could be so many things that nobody here can tell you what it is just based on what you tell us. Most general mechanics do not have the full range of diagnostic tools that a dealer has. Might be computer, might be computer program, might be tranny, torque converter, this , that and the other thing...might be the problem. When it gets difficult to pinpoint the cause of such problems, dealer becomes the only viable alternative.

MY '05 did something similar to that, I figured it was the IAC, first dealer said it didn't have one; second dealer replaced it, but it didn't help/ The problem finally went away.Probably bad gas......

Adam,

PLEASE go get the intake/throttlebody cleaner.

Take off your intake tube, spray the crap outta it, open it up spray a bunch in there, start it (wont start easy) then while its running, spray some into the throttlebody again (with your air intake off of course), use the throttle to open the valve as you spray inside, short bursts.

Then shut it down, put on the air intake, start it up, spray the cleaner INTO your airfilter, and rev the egine iwth the throttle, and then let it run for a couple mins and go for a nice drive for a good 10-30 mins or longer.

This fixed my problem, and I wouldnt have thought it was the problem at all with the way it was acting.

No CEL? I bet this will help you out Adam.

I thought my tranny was the issue as well, the bad idle just made it act up.

If it doesnt help, then alteast you cleaned your intake, thats the way I look at it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey XST,

I tried the intake cleaner/throttle body cleaner.. it didn't appear to make any difference.. i think I am just going to take it into the dealer to see what they figure it is.. i'm pretty much lost..

I'll let you all know what it is once its all fixed.

Adam,

I think it is the IAC or something related to the IAC controls. Your 600 RPM idle speed is a bit too low, and the fluctuations indicate that the ECU is trying to adjust the idle but can't, so it stalls.

The IAC may be bad or dirty. or the idle passages may be dirty/clogged. Also, check for vacuum leaks to include all hoses, itake and around the trottlebody.

It could also be an eletrical problem with one of the sensor wires going to the transmission. If one of the wires or connectors is getting a bad connection, your ECU may not be aware that you have shifted the transmission into gear (reverse) and is confused as to why the RPM's are fluctuating? I think this would be very rare.

I am more convinced that your Idle speed is too low while in gear due to something upsetting the idle air/fuel mixture.

I would check and test all of the follwing:

IAC

Dirty Idle air passeges in the IAC/Throttlebody. (also make sure your throttlebody valves are fully closed at idle)

Theck the EGR valve when you put it in gear. something may be sending EGR gas into the intake at idle

Check all temperature sensors and wiring. A bad temp sensor can fool the ECU thinking its hotter or colder than it really is...resulting in a wrong air/fuel mix at idle.

...Rich