Impressive Ford Story- 500,000 mi. on Crown Vic. Taxi

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Piroth

Reaction score
I've never been a huge brand loyalist, having owned a Toyota, Pontiac, GMC, VW, Jeep, Honda and two Fords so far, but this definitely caught my attention.

I was in Miami on Monday for a meeting and the taxi driver who drove us back to the airport had a 10 year-old Crown Victoria with 488,000 miles on it. He said that he has to retire it at the end of the year due to Florida law that says cabs can't be over 10 years old (by which time it will be over 500k), but if not for that he would keep driving it indefinitely.

We asked him what he'd done to keep it alive so long, and he said that he changed the oil and filter every 3k and the brake pads every 3 months or so (lots of stop & go in a taxi, obviously) but other than that, nothing special. It had been through two transmissions, but had never needed any other major work.

For the GM haters out there, he also noted that he had a Chevy for 3 years prior to the Ford, and that it spent 2 of those years in the shop. We heard, "Ford is good car. Chevy, it is terrible." in a thick Cuban accent several times on that ride.

That is impressive. Hope my trac holds out that long. :)

My father has got a 1990 Audi 90 with 420K on it as well. NEVER had any major work, not even the tranny...........

Speaking of high miles, my 2000 Jetta is just about to go over 200K. Only work I have ever done on it is maintainance, a wheel bearing, and a brake caliper..........

...I'm not complainin'.........

I need to move closer to my job..............

I used to service many ford Taxi's and limo's... There where many over 300K and some 400K... They got rid of them after 400K just because of the newer models coming out...

It is amazing how some run for ever and some make 100 miles !!!!!

Volvo is good for those 100K mile clubs, there are many cars here with 300K or more based on the stickers on their bumpers...

Todd Z

Taxis don't get cold-started as much a regular-use cars and the engines don't get heat cycled as much either. I bet this contributes to their longevity.

My 97 Taurus had 250,000 miles it it before the tranny went. I wanted to fix the car, but it cost more than the car was worth. Before the tranny went, all i did was the normal maintenance stuff and a multifunction switch.

Have a good one

Bob

A follow-up to Todd Z’s comment:

I think this might be a good idea for SeattleSportTrac's webextremes.com business (shameless plug for one of our sponsors). 100k, 200k, 300k, etc., stickers or medallions for our STs.

whaddya thnk?:cool:

our 87 ford taurus had 450k miles on it when we sold it it, it was still on its original transmission and there was never a more totured or abused station wagon