inertia switch trouble.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody ever have there inertia switch trip for no reason? Well, Mine did. After the tow to the dealer It turned out to be the inertia switch.

I was driving on a flat road when the engine suddenly stumbled, ran rough, then died. It started monetarily then died again I was able to coast out of traffic but only barely. There were no impacts or jolts to the truck. I had been driving for thirty minutes prior to this happening.

In a word...unexplained.

At least it has given me a reason to get all the outstsanding TSB's resolved.

Fuel cut off switch? Yes...it happened to me a few times. The dealer replaced the harness because the clip was worn and would come apart itself. Anothor time a buddy of mine stepped high up on the floor mat and it dissconnected the switch. Plug it back together and the truck fires right up...

It is rare but it does happen.

What happens more often is a connection issue at the inertia switch. I have replace hundreds of the plug ends on them. Just a bad link there for some reason..

ihad the same thing happen tome a couple weeks ago- only 19,000 miles- driveing alot and no power- ihad a lovely trip to ford on a flatbed

Well that sure is a stupid design. So you get to look in all sorts of possible problems ( broken fuel pump, clogged fuel filter, broken injection system, broken ignition system) when all it is, is a tripped switch. Seems to me that it would have pretty easy to use a switch that would send a signel to the computer if it was tripped so the computer could post an error code. Just look at the mtriad of of other switches in the emission system that are being monitored.

Latest posts