Info on programing keys

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Z

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
Just got 2 new keys from LaRue today .. THANKS LaRue..

I know that you need 2 keys to program a third, But I decided to test if you need the 2 original keys or not..

GOOD news, you only need 2 keys not the original 2 keys to program a third...

SO if you program a third key and loose 1 of the original keys, you can still program a new third key...

Just thought I would pas it along...

Todd Z

Thanks, Todd Z. I always assumed that would just work. If the third chipped key that you got, and programmed, couldn't be used to reprogram a 4th, I would:

a) be mucho pi$$ed

b) want to understand why (what's different about the 3rd key from the two originals?)

c) curse Ford

d) all of the above.

My answer...d.

Like I am said, I am glad it works.

Thanks for the info.

TJR

Todd, are you saying that you can program a third key with two other programmed keys, or say 1 programmed key and another set of unprogrammed keys. I think that you are saying that you can use aftermarket programmed keys, but not sure._Ron

If you read the instructions to program, it says you will need two previously programed keys.

It says NOTHING about two original keys.

That information is in your owners manual.

Tom

Tom, I know, but too many times i see people posting that you need the two original keys...

Just trying to clear things up...

ad as far as the owners manual goes, many members bought used trucks that did not come with it..

Todd Z

As long as you have 2 keys that have been programmed you can make a 3rd,4th,....... The computer doesn't care which key is there, just as long as it is programmed. You can program up to 16 keys.

Last edited by a moderator:
well the reading my 03 manual is says only 8 for my st...

Todd Z

Latest posts