Info, Why the New St feels Quicker !!!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Z

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
OK after some research beceause I was reading the Test drive post I found this!!!!!

The New st has a totally re geared transmission. So you don't even need the 4.10 rear. the 3.73 will do the job. on the v6 and the 3.55 on the v8!!!

The current ST has transmission gears of (1)2.47 (2)1.87 (3)1.47 (4)1.00 (5)0.75

So with a 4.10 rear and a 2.47 first gear the FINAL drive in FIRST is 10.127:1

THE NEW st V6 is (1) 3.22 (2) 2.29 (3) 1.54 (4) 1.00 5(.71)

So with the 3.73 Rear 3.22 First gear Final is 12.016

You have to see the v8 It has a 4.17 first gear with the 3.55 rear thats FD of 14.8 !!!!!!!!!

THAT is HUGE difference and WILL make the truck more responsive and feel like it has a lot more HP and torque...

Just something to ponder

Todd Z

That explains a lot. It definitely takes off quicker, but once at a given speed, additional acceleration feels the same as the current ST. When I say quicker, I just mean that if you use the throttle the same way as the current ST (partial throttle) when starting to roll off a light or something it is quicker to go. Thanks for the info. I wonder if there are any other changes to the tranny?

The change of gearing should result in a reduction of a few hundred RPMs at highway speeds. Probably trying to salvage every bit of MPGs out of it. Hopefully that doesn't force it to kick down every time you need to accelerate. Hmm, something else to try on a test drive... The V8 will really be turning lower RPMs on the highway, but it's got the torque to deal with that I assume. :cool:

Not sure if it relates, but since I had a code resetted, I lost a lot of power (seat of the pants of course). I think it depends on the way you drive. When I'm sitting at a red light, I'm once of those guys who floors it when it turns yellow on the other side.

It took a few months, but somehow, the truck "learned" the way I accelerate and I always had good power ahead of me; regardless of the current speed and gear. I also try to make good use of the overdrive switch.

Needless to say that I have poor gas mileage, but like I said many times; if gas mileage was a concern, I would have never bought a truck (or is it SUV ...).

I lost all that last month; but it sure is fun to "train" it again.

All this to say that : maybe it's more than just transmission changes, they might have made the computer program better.

re: Just test drove an 07 ST!!!!!!!!!!!!!! by bpoche,3/1/2006 15:31 ET

the trany gear is most likely different
you confirmed what i thought thanks Todd

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to see the v8 It has a 4.17 first gear with the 3.55 rear thats FD of 14.8 !!!!!!!!!

Yes it is Q..

Todd Z

I have a Truck Trend Magazine that says the 2001 Sport Trac does 0-60 in 9.1 seconds.

Tom

Chris I am looking into that , THE 5r55S is in the 03 and up regular explorer, My tranny guy tells me it is different, BUT through some research, I will see How different it really is..

Todd Z

Latest posts