Installing 2018 Explorer Wheels on a Gen 2 STA.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Swartz

Reaction score
I have a 2009 STA and want to install later Explorer wheels on it. Has anyone done this with success? Here is what i see:

8Jx20 ET35 5x114.3 70.6 is the center bore.

New Wheels:

8.5Jx20 ET44 5x114.3 63.4 is the center bore

So what I am looking for is a spacer thats is between 5/8" and 1" that would have a hub centric ring that would be 63.4. If I did that, we should be in business, correct?

Honestly you can have the center bore made larger by a machine shop..... Or just spacers and be done with it.... the .5 or 1" spacer would require cutting the studs on the truck.... 1.25 normally clear, 1.5 fit fine....

So is there a way to bolt on a spacer without cutting the studs? The Explorer wheels I have has a much smaller center bore. What are your thoughts?

I have a set of none bolt on 5/16 spacers on the rear of my gen1. It got to the point that tire shops would not mount tires on them.
What I did was. I used 5/16 counter sink type screws. 3 per rotor. I drilled the spacers and counter sunk the holes, to match the srcews. I then squared the spacers to the rotors. Drilled and taped threads in the rotors. Used blue lock-tite on the threads. Then used my dremmel with a cutoff disc on the back side to cut off the excess prrotruding threads.
Now when I go to any tire shop. I dont get any flak about loose spacers.
Damn tire shops in my area are getting very picky about, denying what the customer wants. Some times when I only buy 2 tires. They want to put them on the rear. My style of driving, I blow thru rear tires. So I always want the fronts moved to the rear. Then the 2 new ones on the front.
I have also found that some tire shops lie about tire availability. So they can sell what they stock. I recently went thru this with discount tire. I went home and contacted the tire manufactor. I was told that my tire was not eliminated from there line. Discount tire made a deal to stock a different tire, specific for discount tire. Also they cost more than the ones I wanted. They road hard, slaped the pavement on every ridge line and cornered lousy.
I went back and told the manager about his lie. Gave him a contact person at cooper tire. That I want him to order what I use on my trac.
Well I guess I turned this into a soap box vent. This just happened this month. Fresh memory....

Eddie, those spacers are dangerous and most places don't want the liability..... Yes they work right when installed but they are not for street use... that alone scares me, so racing my tire can fall off and its ok?? LOL

Latest posts