Installing aftermarket door speakers

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Tollison 3

Reaction score
My Pioneer DEH6800 cd player should be here today and I am going to install it as soon as it gets here. I think I am going to also replace the stock door speakers to help compliment the new headunit. For those that have installed new door speakers, what did you replace them with? Also how difficult was it to get the door panels off and how difficult was it install the speakers? Would Pioneer speakers be the best since I am installing the Pioneer unit? Any input would be helpfull.

Thanks for the help.

Andrew

Andrew I went with MB Quartz 6x8 seperates in the front doors and 6x8 2-ways in the back doors. They fit like a glove. Door comes off pretty easy the part with the switches for the windows pops right up I believe there is a scew by the door handle and then just those plastic pop in things (can't remember what they are called) that just snap in and out. Once it's all unsnapped all the way around, just lift up the panel and before you pull it too far away, disconnect the power mirror controls on the driver side.

Pioneer speakers are crap. If I were you I would go with MB Quart, Alpine Type-R or something more high end.

I have Alpine Type-R Components in the front and Alpine Type-R coaxials in the rear and I couldnt be happier.

Andrew, I put these blaupunkt transparent series 3 ways this past weekend, I also put led's in them to light them up they sound great and look pretty cool at night.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the quick replys. Jim D, I like yours. The blue would go good with my headunit. Where did you connect the power wires for the lights?

Andrew

Door panels are a couple of screws and mostly plastic push pins. One warning: the top of the door panels have molded plastic hooks that engage with the door frame. I busted one on a back door because I pulled the bottom of the panel out too far without lifting the panel to disengage the hook.

I used Pioneer 6x8 coaxials, they're not expensive, easy to install and were definitely an improvement over OEM but not outstanding. If you stick with the internal amp don't buy fancy speakers with big power requirements (unless maybe you plan to amp-up later).

I've got the 6800 in an Escape now. I recently got a small Kenwood KSC-SW1 self-powered sub. Huge improvement and the HU has lots of sub settings.

I just put in eBay Boston Acoustic speakers. S65rc 6.5" coax in back and S50 5.25" components in front. My first time with component speakers and WOW!, major clarity with the tweeters up high. All still powered off the internal amp. I think I finally found a setup I can live with.

I also have the Blaupunkt speakers and for the money I don't think you can get a better pair of speakers. They sound tons better than my rear Rockford Fosgate 5X7's that cost nearly $20 more a pair. I did have a newer set of Blaupunkt's in the rear but one of them blown after acouple months but the older transparent series is still holding up strong.

Andrew, I tapped into the power wire for the windows, it is switched power so the lights go on and off with the key. you can alo turn off all but the drivers door by locking out the other doors.

Last edited by a moderator: