Installing replacement motor tips needed

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Dolinski

Reaction score
HI all

I found another motor for my Trac, I located one with 40k miles and picked it up today. I was wondering if anyone has done a swap in a trac and might have some tips or incite on doing the removal and installation.

Thanks

JimD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take detailed pictures if possible for reinstall reference and label everything you remove,disconnect,etc. with masking tape and ziploc baggies. Hopefully these tips help. Good luck and have fun. :banana::D

Ditto what Jerry said. Also if you can find a cheap pack of 4 or 5 colored tape. mark the connections, hoses wiring etc, between the two motors. If you have too, use 2 colors on some connections, because of close proximity of the same color. Many cases though some conections are idiot proof because of shape.

If you have an eye for detail. Your bigest problem is the wrestling match.....Good Luck...:D

Bill,, why would he need the ECM? As long as he got a job 2 motor if that is what he has. The ECM should be generic. Same harness and sensors. I would say if he Also changing a trany from stick to auto. Then he would need the ECM and harness.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the ECMs are generic, if so why so many diff codes?

When my son replaced his 02 engine from a donor trac (same year) he took the ECM and the keys and locksets.

Engine would not fire with his Orig ECM, did with the Donor ECM.

Gotta love puter controlled cars :(

I guess my thoghts were on the obd1 EC V puter. You could run a stick shift with the automatics puter. You needed the Automatics puter for auto trans...:wacko: