Instrument panel bulbs - what size?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard McAlister

Reaction score
I bought my '05 ST used with about 47K miles on it. Always thought the instrument panel was dim at night, especially the area between the upper tach and speedo. I looked up the project by Jacob Dryer (thanks, nice write-up!) and decided to change my bulbs. I bought six #194 bulbs and started taking off panels. I got the instrument panel out and to the workbench to discover that the bulbs in the panel were much smaller than the #194 bulbs I bought, and there were only five.:huh: There were four other twist based bulbs, for warning lights I suppose, but they were smaller still. I looked in my owner's manual, the ford maintenance manual, and the wiring diagram manual, I could not find the size listed. So a long story to ask - anyone know the correct size?

BTW, all bulbs tested OK with the ohmmeter, so I dusted them off and reinstalled. I'd like to replace them anyway when I find the correct bulbs.

thanks

Mine is a late '05 (built in Feb 2005). Maybe a change? Side by side the 194 was much bigger than the bulb from the panel, wouldn't come close to fitting. Any other thoughts?

Hrm sorry they weren't the same as mine in the project.. my ST is an 02. When I went to autozone they had a book by all the bulbs and I just looked it up and thats what it told me and was correct for my ST at least.. Just like looking up an air/oil filter.

Yea, I had the same problem. Spent a chunck on blue LED's, size 194. It took forever to get the dash apart, then the dials, and then lo and behold, the bulbs are WAY SMALLER! So I painted them blue, put everything back together, put the blue LED's in my map lights, rear dome light, and bed light. Went driving, took dash apart again since I was idling at 85 MPH, fixed that, and now warn everyone, THEY ARE NOT 194! Still don't know what size.

RockAuto has this listing. I'd still think there are #37's in there too. Photo below shows the difference in the size of the two bulbs.

2005 FORD EXPLORER SPORT TRAC 4.0L 245cid V6 FI (E) : Electrical-Lamp & Socket : Instrument Panel Light Bulb Price Core Total Advice

DELCO or GE Part # L194 More Info {#09421330, 09442445, 9421330, W3W}

BULB,INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPARTMENT LP

+ Sold in packs of 10; Price reflects cost of each individual item, not the pack

$0.30 $0.00 $0.30

1870c34dd117615a8297092325186505.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys - looks like the #37/73 may be the ones. The 194s are way too big for the openings and the bases.

Next time I'll take one to the parts store and have them match it for me. I'd still be afraid of a size match but a wattage difference.

Latest posts