Insurance

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Dammes

Reaction score
I was curious if anyone else seems to be paying a heavy price for insurance on a 2004 Sport Trac. I have spent all day trying to get a better rate and it seems I am stuck paying way more than anyone else with the same type coverage. I did have an accident that was my fault in 2005 but I had no damage and the other vehicle had very little damage. Just wondering..

Matt

Make sure they class it as a SUV and not a Pick up truck....

Here a Pick Up is a lot more then a SUV....

And a chargeable accident ( doesn't matter the damage or cause ) can raise your rate 300-500 a year or more...

Todd Z

Age bracket has a lot to do with it too. I'm 26 and pay about 110.00 a month. I did have a mustang when i was younger that I couldn't keep my foot out of.. I racked up a few speeding tickets.. but nothing in the last 5 years.. I think my rates high due to my age..

And just for the record, my insurance classifies the Trac as a SUT (sport utility truck)

Last edited by a moderator:
There's so many factors involved: age like griff pointed out, where you live, your driving record.

Best to just get on line and get quotes from several companies.

I agree with TomT, check and compare prices.

Also, if you're a homeowner, you may get special discounts for auto if you have your homeowner's insurance with the same company. If you have multiple cars (my ST is a 3rd vehicle in a household with 2 drivers), you should get a discount.

If you're a student, look into a discount for good grades. You also may get a discount for passing a driver education course.

The distance you drive to and from work may also play into your premium amount.

A defensive driving course can help with the cost of your coverage with most insurance companies.

Safety and security features may help lower your rate as well, if you have a steering wheel club or lock or have GPS capability for your vehicle.

I thought that having my vehicle equiped with an expensive anti-theft system would get me a more favorable rate, wrong! I elected to not get the GPS option because of the monthly service fee and up front cost wouldn't have lowered my rate enough to justify.

Besides w/ a 2-car garage attached to the house, it sits securely inside.:)

D-

Yeah... I am 37... Great credit rating, Public Safety defensive driving classes, and all the good discounts became void when I had an accident.. just found this out... I just can't believe that I have been a loyal customer since I was 16 and This being my first wreck, no tickets etc... and they can't do better than over $118 a month.. I would love to figure out how much money I have spent on Auto insurance

Sorry for the vent...

Matt

everyone great points, i.e.: age, type of vehicle, driving history, purpose of vehicle use, ect.

but at least as far as i know, credit rating has nothing to do with your rate, maybe the type of payment required for the (monthly, at up front, quartely) contract, but not your credit rating.

I have a 2004 Sport Trac and my insurance actually went down a bit when I got it. We pay between $550-$600 every 6 months for full coverage on the ST and my wifes Buick Regal GS

of course we have everything working in our favor (long term customer, house insurance with same company, no recent accidents, over 25, married etc)

Gary...look it up.

Matt. Have you checked Geico or Progressive? I have heard bad things about Progressive, but the last time my dad got hit, Preogressive was right there to settle everything.

My sister just got rear-ended today. The person that hit her has Geico insurance. When she called Geico, they told her they would fix her car, pay any hospital bills, if she has to skip work to get anything taken care of, they would pay her for her time, and pay her pain and suffering. I have NEVER had an insurance company offer pain and suffering.

One insurance company, I had to hire a lawyer to send a letter to get the claim settled. I was not at fault at all and thier client was not only cited by the police, but even admitted fault. The insurance company did not want to settle.

Who is your current insurance company?

Tom

The cost of the insurance pay-out does matter. I backed into a car last November and caused $849 worth of damage. My AAA insurance premium would have gone up $347/year for 3 years if I hadn't switched companies! $1041 total!

I called to "clear up" what was obviously a mistake and was told that if the paid claim is $750 & under, my rate would not increase and no points would be assigned. $751 and above it goes up. Same rate increase for a $751 claim or $25,751 claim! I explained how unfair it is to pay more in premiums than the claim was, but that fell on deaf ears.

I switched to State Farm. They forgave the first accident and my insurance was cheaper even if AAA had not increased the premium. (State Farm changed this policy in May and no longer forgive the first accident.)

My State Farm premium is 78 dollars a month. My deductables are low. You can save more money if you request higher deductables, I am not sure how much,but you can find out._Ron

Credit rating does indeed matter. I only found this out last month when shopping for my kiddo. So does distance to work, where it is "stored" otherwise known as home address and soooooo many other things.

This one is real interesting - guy I work with moved from the county I live in (Bexar) to the next one - total distance 7 miles. His insurance decreased by approx 40%. This is the home address part of where the vehicle is parked overnight.

I pay 630 for 6 months for my Charger R/T, my Sonata (both full coverage) and an 80 corvette.

My kiddo, 20 year old female, pays ~80 per month full coverage on her Firebird.

Not sure if you are eligible, but USAA cut us an awesome deal a few years back. We had Geico and switched in a minute........ pay about 100.00 a month for a 93 mustang, 06 focus, 01 st, with an 18 yo female driver on the policy with the wife and me.

USAA rocks! I have had them for over 20 years and have never found any other company to come close to beating their rates. The 10-15% "rebate" at the end of the year further sweetens the deal!

Excellent customer service and prompt, very generous claims processing.

I am SOLD on USAA!

SST, you say it's illegal in Washington for an insurance company to consider one's credit rating. Wow. That's unfortunate. People with bad credit should pay more for everything IMHO. Those with bad credit can easily be considered higher risk customers.

I guess I don't understand the issue. Sure, it's probably an anti-discrimination law. But shouldn't businesses be able to discriminate in such a fashion?

TJR

As to why the WA State feels your credit store doesn't equate to your insurance premiums.

Yes, anti-discrimation plus they weren't informing customers they were checking credit scores putting an inquiry on your credit report lowers your credit rating.