Intake Manifold Gaskets

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coleman Brumley

Reaction score
I got a quote for a mechanic for 2.6 hours to replace the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets. Does this seem right? Too long? No long enough?

Thanks!

I get a decent rate, but I just wanted to make sure the time was fair. Thanks.

Is there anything else I should have changed while they've got all that pulled (thermostat, etc.)? I've seen reference to the "thermostat housing" but the only part I can find is the t-stat housing o-ring.

Here is a project for replacing the thermostat and housing. Has all the parts listed.

I did my intake gaskets when I did my T-stat housing, made it so much easier.

I just remember doing lowers, not uppers, but mine is an '03. I used Ben's instructions, was going to do a right up myself, but got too busy, now I figure I forgot too much.

Get the kit from Ford. It also includes a timing chain tensioner, oil restrictor tube, and oil plug.

The job is not hard to do.

Tom

Yes get the ford kit. Greg Grimes recently used the felpro kit. It leaked. He went and got the ford kit.

Just picked up the Ford gaskets. I have an appt on Tuesday to get them put in. The dealership quoted the same amount of time as my mechanic, so that's good to know. The difference is about $200 though!

I'll post here when the gaskets are put in. I know you're all dying to know how this turns out. :rofl:

Ok, got the ST back from the mechanic today. The also gave the intake manifold a good cleaning as it had "a lot of gunk" in it.

Since I originally got the P0171 and P0174 codes, she's developed 7 more codes all related to the vacuum leak...so it seems it was a good thing I didn't wait for warmer weather. I hope running it like this didn't burn up any of the plugs. They're brand new!

Anyway, she seems to be running great now. The real test will be in the morning when I try to start her after sitting all night in the cold.