Intake questions...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipTrac_511

Reaction score
A few questions regarding intakes:

1) Does the intake suck in air like a vacuum or is it just inhaling it?

2) If an aftermarket intake sucks in more air than a stock one, doesn't it also mean that it's also sucking in more (fine) debris?

3) If excessive filter recharging oil builds up on the MAF sensor, what are the potential problems (if any)? Will cleaning the sensor be the only required service?

1) It's just inhaling it, but it will sound like a vacuum. Mine has a very loud hiss at idle and a delightful whistle at WOT.

2) Yes and no. The aftermarket filter will be of a better quality, and the fact that it's oiled, instead of paper, allows it to better trap particles.

3) I've been running oiled filters for 50k on my ST now and I've never had to clean the MAF (though I did today just because it was off when I was installing my Underdog Pulleys.

1. Atmospheric pressure (14.7 psi nominal at sea level) is PUSHING air through the intake into the lowered pressure created when the piston moves on the intake stroke. There is no such thing as "sucking".

2. Aftermarket (racing) filters do allow more dirt to pass than paper filters; they are designed for maximizing engine power output where long service life is not required (e.g. engine is rebuilt after every race or season, etc.). Paper filters are generally "surface" type filters that rely on fine screening to stop dirt on the surface of the filter. Gauze filters are generally "depth" filters that rely on adhesive (oiled gauze in this case) obstacles in the fiilter to catch particles as they flow through the filter.

3. Contamination of the MAF sensor may require replacement. Although highly unlikely to cause problems, oil shedding from the filter could cause increased carbon build-up in the combustion chamber, as well as shorter functional lifespan of the catalytic converters.

Now what is the difference (if any) between the aftermarket gauze type filters and the stainless steel ones I keep seeing next too them at lets say Autozone? I know the stainless steel says for "off-road use only" why is that?

Thanks.

Most of the ones at Autozone for $20 are not gauze, but colored paper. APC just released some that we started stocking that are gauze and run about $25, and they come in blue, red, and white. You can't clean and re-oil the paper filters, it will ruin them.

Can you tell me the benifits of say a SS filter over a Gauze filter? I know the SS has no oil and doesn't need the oil so that is one benifit I know of. Does it trap dirt and fibers better or worse? I would just like to know if spending $45 on a SS filter is better than spending $25 on a filter + oil after so long since all the SS needs is a bath once and awhile.

Thanks.

Thanks for the info!

So, I take it that my Volant CAI filter, is the gauze type?

Also, if the intake is not "sucking" the air in, the only way I can imagine the MAF getting oil on it is if the filter was really over oiled. Correct? Just curious.

I used an AEM dry filter.That way I don't have to oil it.It sounds good(no whistle).After a couple of thousand miles on it, I pulled the intake and checked it.Very little dust on the inside.The cost was around 50 dollars for it and the cleaner as well._Ron

Latest posts