Intake

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The great debate continues.

There are several considerations. Looks, effectiveness, cost. The ideal cold air intake is just that, to allow "cold" air to enter the engine. With the excepton of the Volant or home made units, air is drawn in from under the hood. Some manufactures include a partition to help keep the warmer air away from the filter intake.

The inlet tubes should be smooth and theroetically made from an insulating material such as plastic, carnon fiber etc. rather than metal. This affect is so minimal, that looks often out weigh this function. If going with a metal tube I would prefer polished aluminum rather than chromed steel depending on the humidity or foul weather in your area. Chrome can pit or flake while aluminum will not.

The filter should be made of a good oiled cotton-gauze material. Flow capability is important.

Thirdly cost. A PVC homemade cold air with a good cone filter can be made for about $45. Depending on make, a commercial unit will cost several hundred dollars. They are both about as effective in letting in more cool air.

We initially put in a K&N drop-in filter, and when I took it in for service a few yrs. ago I was told about the oil leeching through onto the MAFS. The Ford electrical tech. then showed me how to clean it with spray-on electrical cleaner. We have since switched to using an AirAid filter because their technology uses less oil. Recently I fould out about the new AEM dry filter which uses no oil, and if I have it to do over I would use the AEM dry flow filter. :D

I just put in the MAC and got about a 2MPG increase. I didn't notice a ton of power increase, but I do notice that when cruising on the highway I can be a bit lighter on the pedal.

I would buy the MAC again, IMO the K&N will give you the same thing but costs more money.

They are both good. They both perform the function or reducing resistance on incoming airflow. The idea of pulling cold air.........IMO, this borderlines myth. The only way to get a true cold air intake is if you are running a pipe from fender, or from the outside of the vehicle.

On a large motor, like 300 cubic inches +, you may see a performance difference between intake brands. But on our relatively small 4.0, I don't really think brand matters. Anything is better than stock.

Latest posts