Interested in buying Sport Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am a college student, soon to get out hopefully, and i have been real interested in purchasing a Sport Trac after i graduate. I was just wanting to get some input from actual owners on the vehicle. Anything yall would like to add is appreciated. Im wanting a pretty nice one i guess, since its my first real world vehicle. Probably 4x4, maybe not quite the Adrenalin, but something nice. Thanks for yalls help.

Goody:D

Thomas- I am a college student myself and the Sport Trac was my first purchase. I bought an '05 XLS 4x4 because I wanted a really low monthy payment that I could handle while in school. Luckily I got the lost leader price and now I'm having tons of fun making my XLS look like an XLT premium and so much more! It's nice having the extra cash around to play with my car and all that interior stuff wasn't important to me- I wanted something without any frills. The Sport Trac is a great little truck especially if you have a lot of hobbies and a lot of friends to do them with. It hauls all my toys and all my buddies with ease. It's a ton of fun!!!

-Heather in OC

Well, i just ifnished college this year, and i love having the trac. up until 3rd year io had a civic, which although was great on gas, just wasnt cutting it. The ST is great for when you have to pile a bunch of people in your car after theyre all too drunk to drive:lol:

Not sure about payments because i bought mine in cash, but i love it!! The only problem i could see with having it is with gas. Either way, any car this size compared to a smaller car isnt going to do to well on mpg. I drive around 200 miles a week and probably spend about 20 bucks every sunday filling her back up. If you drive w/o punching it at every light then youll probably do pretty well. i have an exhaust so i like stepping on it every now and then. :D

If you want one real nice, but not the Adrenalin, go for the XLT premium. I guess you could say it is one level down. Thats what I have. It has plenty of creature comforts and gadjets. I did not get leather. that is an option. The prm, comes with the painted bumpers and clading. Take your time shop around, so you are happy with your choice.

I have a pretty basic 4x4 '03 ST and love it. It has everything I need and is easy to use in any application. Plus then you get to be a full fledged member with a bunch of great people here. It's also one of the best optioned vehicle out there. You won't be let down.;)

My 02 is about as basic as you can get. Still had plenty of great features. Left me money for all the important mods like a good sound system (much better then you can get from Ford) and all the stuff needed to improve handling (that Ford doesn't make).

I graduated in 2002 and the Trac was the first thing I bought when I got my job in Spet of '02. The wife and I had been sharing a 96 Taurus before that point when we moved south.

Good luck.

Thank yall very much for your input, i believe yall have just made my decision for me. it will probably be a year or so,but if that many of you in that short of a time replied and had nothing but good things to say, i cant go wrong. thanks again

Goody

:D

Goody, I'm in the same boat as you (kinda). I'm also looking for a new ride, but I'm not a student. I posted a maessage similar to yours here a few weeks ago. Everyone here is very knowledgable and has provided a lot of very detailed advise and insight to the ST.

Like you, I've also decided to buy an ST, based on the advise and amount of praise from owners on this site. Just be aware, the ST doesn't appear to be a perfect vehicle, like some of these guys would have you believe. Most of the owners have made up-grades to their suspension due to the stock shocks and rear sway bar being sub-standard. Aside from that, the most common complaint I've heard is that the gas mileage isn't too great. Of course that depends on the model and your driving habits. No one buys a vehicle like an ST expecting to get 30mpg. There are a few other complaints, but those seem to be limited to a few "lemons" which a couple of unfortunate owners have purchased. Over-all it seems to be a nice ride. I'm ordering a XLT Premium.

Good luck.

Latest posts