Interesting 4th gear Shift

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woppy V

Reaction score
I have a horrible tendency to over analyze things I find peculiar... so bare with me. The other day while driving on the interstate I noticed via my muffler noise that when I let my foot off the pedal and then reapply to accelerate that the Rpms spike up before settling down to where they normally ride. Not a huge increase, maybe a jump of 200/300rpm. It's as if when I first hit the gas the engine isn't engaged with the transmission for the first couple seconds then finds fourth gear and settles. I have never noticed this before. Maybe this is normal and I am just now learning of it because of the new muffler. But I wouldn't see why this would happen... Only occurs with the fourth gear while cruising the interstate. Other than that everything shifts smoothly. Am I being a hypochondriac again or is this odd?

what you are seeing is normal... when you lift off the gas like that, (or tap the brakes) the torque convertor unlocks, and the engine rpm will rise due to the convertor slippage.... When you reapply the gas, the convertor will still be unlocked until condition exist that it will allow it to lock again. .....when it locks back up, the rpm's will drop about that much.

thanks scott. thats what i figured. and bill.. the trac.. don't they only have R - 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th(which is the OD)

Yes, Scott is correct, This is 100% normal....

Todd Z

Yes they are 5 speeds, but the converter will lock up in third gear and up...

Your feeling the converter locking and unlocking, not the tranny shifting from 4th to 5th...

Todd Z