Interesting discussion on Honda Ridgeline as tow vehicle

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainTrac

Reaction score
I read this thread today about the R/L as a tow vehicle. Most on the Trailer Life forum agree that it isn't equipped for serious towing.

Last edited by a moderator:
And I quote from there something interesting:

The Pilot has a 4500 pound boat tow rating and a 3500 pound conventional trailer rating.

It's not wind resistance, our 1700 pound boat/trailer has a lot, much more than our 3450 pound popup did.

It's tongue weight. Because much of a boat's weight is in the engine(s) and they're at the stern. The trailer only needs 5% - 7% total weight on the ball to tow safely (not fishtail). For 4500 pounds that's 225 - 315 pounds.

A 3500 pound conventional trailer needs 10% - 15% on the ball to tow safely. That's 350 - 525 pounds back there. The sheet metal unibody has problems with this weight on a hitch of this weight, as does the rear suspension.

Since Ridgeline uses much of the running gear of Pilot which uses much of the running gear of Odyssey (!) ya can't expect it to tow things a real truck would.

-- Chuck

Last time that I checked it was actaully a full time 4wd.

The rr diff is always (electronically) engaging the clutches up to 60 mph.

The front diff is a limited slip.

It has a 50/50 front to rear split at vehicle launch and gets proportioanlly less up to 60 mph.

I believe that it's towing capabilities is limited more by the unibody design than by the drive line.

No matter how anyone defends it, the RL is a FWD platform. There is too much stress put on the front wheels to reliablility tow anything substantial.

I have a feeling why the RL is only offered as AWD is to help releve some stress off the front end. It still does not make it any better to tow anything. It is great for hauling a few bags of mulch, a dirty dog, or flowers to be planted in the spring.

That is why I have a problem with Honda calling it a 1/2 ton truck. They are really streching the truth there.

As Olaf W said...FWD is Front Wheel Drive. If it was Four Wheel Drive, it is known as either 4WD or 4x4. RWD is Rear Wheel Drive.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts