iPod and Stock Radio

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Dammes

Reaction score
Is there anyway to use the stock (6 cd no cassette) radio with the iPod besides an FM Transmitter. I have wasted money and time trying to get an FM Transmitter to work worth a darn and I still hate it. Any help would be great.

Dammes

:(

I've heard of ways that you can hardwire it into a head unit but I can't vouch for a stock one. I just use the cassette adapter with my iPod and single CD/cassette combo unit.

Check out ipodlounge.com , you may find some info there.

Dammes, is that the radio shack one? curious about it. I use the fm modulator for the satelite, it's pretty good but I think I'm givin up some sound quality.

Changed out the HU myself, so not familiar w/the 6CD setup. Check crutchfield for the auxiliary adapter to possibly use with your factory unit.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think you are out of luck there buddy......the best thing to do if you want to use your ipod seamlessly thru your radio is to buy a new head unit. I am running into that same issue myself.....i asked crutchfield's "customer service techs" if one of their "aux" adapters would work with my stock 6 disc radio head unit....and they said yes. But I found out otherwise....there is no cd changer output on these radios...therefore you cant get the aux imputs you need to use any kind of ipod adapter or interface. So just go buy you a radio with an "aux" imput or one that has the ability to use its "cd changer port" as an "aux" imput, and your ipod should hook right up....hope this helps!:)

I've done a bit of research into this - it will work with 01-03 units but not 04+ 6CD units. Do a search for iPod and you should see my old threads. :)

Thanks, I guess I will just not use the iPod. I have a 2004 and I do not feel like replacing the radio. I did find a device that goes into the satelitte conection but I just don't want to mess with it anymore.

Leave it to Ford to make it difficult

Dammes

They do suck, but with the 04+ Ford used a new electronic communication system. I believe the system is CANBUS or CAMBUS. I forget. Regardless, it was almost a test line to see if they could integrate new features (for example, using the same radio in Expeditions, they had the overhead video screen run through the head unit). However, in making a part fit most vehicles, they used it in the Sport Trac, too. In doing so, they dropped out HU's AUX input for the CANBUS and thus, we have a nonfuctional AUX button and no way to get an iPod connected.

Adam - can you confirm Tom's question about the iPod working on the 01-03 ST Pioneer 6 disc HU? I took mine out of the dash the other day and did not see an input for an AUX or Changer (i have an 03).

I am also running into this same problem with using the iPod w/the FM transmitter (audio quality sucks). So I think I am stuck changing the HU. I looked at a few on Crutchfield but they claim these don't fit - can anyone confirm? I don't see how its possible since they are all double DIN. I want a Nav/CD/DVD all in-one dash mount unit. any suggestions.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-bBRlAmUIzyc/cgi-bin/ProdGroup.asp?g=182350&avf=Y&skipvs=T

like i said earlier......at least my 01 head unit w/6 disc cd changer doesn't have any way to connect an adapter to the unit itself...unless like glen said u can hardwire it.

as for jays question.....it doesn't have navigation....but clarion makes a unit with a 7" screen that completly intergrates with the ipod.....for a mere 1300, but i have seen it on ebay for less.