Iridium Spark Plugs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
I've got a 2004 Sport Tac.

I went to Autozone to get some Plugs and they looked on their system and it said that original equipment was an Iridium Spark Plug and asked if I'd like to replace with the same. So, I said yes and got the Autolite Iridium. Once I pulled my old plugs though, they were clearly the Motorcraft Platinum. I've went ahead and changed them out just today, gapped to .054, but after reading some posts on this site, everybody seems to be recommendingt the Platinum Plugs. I'm under the impression that Iridum is far better. Any comments on this?

Iridium are a notch above platinum. This sounds like your typical tale of the "auto parts store junkie" -- who doesn't have a clue as to what he's talking about, and will recommend the most expensive part. Sometimes you'll get lucky, and run across a good one.

Yes -- in general they are. Just like everything, it depends on the application.

I was referring to the parts counter dude -- once in awhile you run across a good one. Typically, they are clueless.

Yep, either the parts guy is clueless. Or he works on commision. Iredium is about double the price of platinum. Since they are autolite they might be the correct heat range.

The problem with some custom plugs is. They dont make every heat range required. They sell you something close. The motorcraft or autolite plats are the exact heat range required. That is why they work well with ford ignitions and cylinder temps.

Ok,

I did learn my lesson. I changed my plugs to Ir plugs. I don't know if it was the change from Platinum to Ir or the change from OEM Motorcraft to Bosch, but I feel my truck lost some pep, and I know I lost MPGs.

Changing the plugs was a big P.I.T.A.! Especially with the bear paws I have. Maybe a small child could change them easily (or maybe that Burger King guy with the small hands!) that's why I have left them in (for now). I will definitely be changing back to the OEM, I just have to be in the mood to have scraped knuckle, torn skin & bruises.

Yes, I was warned by many members in the forum...but did I listen? Noooooo!:banghead:

Last edited by a moderator:
what kind of intake should i get?

should i get an exhaust?

dingo, your the best !!

should i lift my trac?

todd, where are you?

Ask Caymen / Tom already people!!!

He'll have a PERFECT answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Q out...

Got my Taylor Wires in today and installed so Trac is back up and running. However, I went on this venture trying to solve a problem with it running poorly. It seemed to be missing which is why I was guessing it was the Spark Plugs needing changed (at 120,000 miles). Well, after the change-out, it's running okay but still seems a little rough. I thought for a moment that I messed up the sequence of wires but after double and triple checking that I found that the order was correct. I also thought that perhaps I didn't get a plug wire on the Spark Plugs very well so I disconnected one by one each from the coil and started it each time. It ran significantly rougher with a plug wire off of each cylinder which tells me they are each connected just fine.

I just tryed the Sea Foam project with no significant difference. I added some to the gas tank so I plan to run through the tank and find out if it clears up. I then plan to do the project to clean the IAC and intake. It won't be long and I'll be running out of ideas. Maybe the O2 sensor? Perhaps the something else causing it to run rough.

Anthony, @ 120k. You might want to pull the egr valve. Clean the seat and pasages. Just incase carbon build up is keeping it from seating. A slight leak by can make it run rough when the valve is supposed to be closed.

O2 sensors dont usualy cause rough running. They will just cause a lean condition or rich burn. Too rich can cause some roughness. Usually by that time it will set an out of range code.

Latest posts