Is Royal Purple Trans fluid really that good ?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob R

Reaction score
It's time for a trans fluid change. Is Royal Purple worth the extra money? Anybody that is using it please comment.

Thanks,

Bob

Some here will say it is. Of course the ads say that it is. Fact is that 95% or more of the transmissions will have a full service life using Merco-V. So if you use it and every thing is fine then you might say it was as good as they say it is. But, you can be assured that some transmissions using RP will fail. When it comes to oils, there are as many opinions as there are people.

I thin Bill said it very well.

If you use RP and never have a transmission problem, you will feel it was because of the RP and it was worth the extra money. If you used Mercon-V and have no problems, you will not see a need to pay the extra cost for RP.

Even if a tranmission fails, it's never caused by the fluid as long as the fluid is changed at regular intervals, so it's difficult to say that a different brand of fluid would have prevented that particular failure. If you never have a failure, it's impossible to prove that the brand of fluid was the reason for no failure. It's like trying to prove a negative.

That's kind of like some of the medicines on the market that they claim will reduce the chance of a heart attack by 60%. My guess is that 40% of the people who took their medicine and still had a heart attack would feel it was not worth the money. And for the millions of people who never took the medicine and never had a heart attack would feel they don't need it.

...Rich

Rich, how often should we change the fluid, and is there anything else you can do? I know Todd told me once about increasing the pressure or something but Ford won't change the computer to do it.

Teddy,

I recommend having the fluid flushed every 25K-30K miles. A flush will replace about 97-98% of the fluid in the transmission through the cooling lines.

A conventional fluid change will them to drop the transmission pan. That only replaces the fluid in the pan which is only about 50% of the total amount of fluid in the transmission. (the rest is retained in the torque converter and transmission cooler. However since you are removing the transmission pan, you can change the filter although there are disagreements at to the value of the filter.

I personally feel that flushing 97-98% of the fluid at 24K-30K mile intervals and dropping the transmission pan and changing the filter every 100K miles is the best procedure for me.

Others prefer to drop the pan and change 50% of the fluid and the filter every 25K-30K miles

and that works fine for them.

My preference to flush is based on the fact that heat is the enemy of the transmission and the fluid. If the fluid gets to hot it will become burnt. Burnt fluid will cause the transmission to slip which generates even more heat, which further damages the fluid, which leads to more sliping, etc. One leads to the other in a vicious cycle.

I don't feel that changing the filter every 25K miles or so is of any significant value since the transmission filter does not work like an engine oil filter. It blocks particles from being picked up from the pan and circulated through the transmission, but is not designed to trap and retain these particles, and therefore does not become clogged like an engine oil filter would. Again, other may disagree, but I have never heard of a transmission failure caused by a clogged filter.

...Rich

We've had RP in our manual tranny, and have been no worse off that if we were running the OEM tranny fluid. I personally feel that RP is a step up from OEM fluid mostly because it is synthetic. We are running it in our engine, tranny, power steering, and using the coolant additive. Great stuff! :cool:

...and if you had deer whistles and never hit a deer, they must work.

Two years and haven't hit one deer! Thinking of getting an elephant whistle next and see if I can have the same success.

I prefer wolf whistles myself.

If you don't want to take it to a shop, drop the pan, change the filter, put a drain plug in the pan and put it all back. FIll with new fluid, drive it around a little, and take it home and drain the pan with the plug. Do that twice more and you've changed almost 95% of your trans fluid. The only problem with this is it takes about $70 worth of fluid to do it, which is about the same price as a cheap tranny flush.

Im still looking for frigging dumbass on the cell phone whistles but they seem to be sold out every where. Mut be a demand for them.

They don't work. Don't waste your money. Cell phone drivers don't seem to hear anything else but the phone they're talking on.

Latest posts