Is this a good deal?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wendy K

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking at buying a Sport Trac. Do you think this is a good deal? This car really hit me. I've been looking for a family vehicle. I really hate SUVs and I don't want to pay for a high priced foreign wagon. I thought a small pickup would suit me. Then I saw this and it was love at first sight. My husband thinks I've gone off the deep end. My current daily driver is a 2 seat convertible. Its a 2004 leftover still at the showroom.

2004 brand new from dealer with options, out the door for $25000 for everything...includes tax, license, etc?

I realize some of this is listed as standard.

2004 Sport Trac 4x4

Oxford White ClearcoatExterior/Medium Pebble Tan Leather buckets

Step Bars

P255/70R16 A/T Owl Tires

Monochromatic Appearance Pk

Power Driver Seat 6way Heated

Power Windows Locks autloc

4.0L SOHC V6 Flex Fuel Engine

5 spd auto o/d trans

4.10 limited slip axel

power moonroof

hard tonneau cover

power rear sliding window

TIA!

Sounds like a really good deal to me! I got mine at about $27,800 + 0%APR under X-plan before taxes, and was packaged almost identically as yours, except 2WD, side curtains, and no tonneau. Sticker was, what, over $32K at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy it! You'll love it...and you'll love this site!...by the by, the sticker on my '04 was 27,800 as well, and it's a 2wd also.BUY IT BUY IT. be one of us...one of us...one of us...:cool:

Thanks. Sticker is $33,070. I thought it might be a good deal. I'm planning on putting $5-7k down. My credit union is offer 4.99% and the dealer said they'd match or beat it so maybe I need to go do some more wheeling and dealing.

I'm trying to convince the hubby that I(we) need this. ;-p

Iam no expert, but I would think the depreciation of an '04, even if it is new, would be alot lower than that. Just sounds to high to me for an '04. There is already 2yrs depreciation, I would look at the blue book before signing.....

I agree with Fast Eddie, check the Blue Book first and go from there, once you drive that ST out the lot, the depreciation of value would be a considerable amount since it's two years old now for all practical purposes. That price out the door is fair but I would haggle more even for a grand IMO plus include a factory top of the line (installed) security system with remote start as well and the factory splash guards. GOOD LUCK. Remember that the dealer would love to get that ST out of their hands soon since the '07 will be around in about five months.

Yes, its brand new still at the show room. So how low do you think I should try to get him? $23000 out the door...22K?

I haven't even driven it yet. The battery needed charging and I couldn't wait. I'm going back tomorrow and may hem and haw a little. They wanted me to put money down...$100...but non-refundable....yeah right.

I may be female but I'm no fool. I even needed to explain what a tonneau cover was to the salesman who was a newbie. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep in mind that even though it is 2 model years olds, it is still a brand new vehicle. The dealer only has so much room before it honestly takes a loss. The question is: how bad do they want to move it and at what loss? All rebates are non-exsistant on 2004 models now. The dealer took a "lump sum" discount some time ago. I've had experience with this as a new car salesman. The ball is in your court. You can make or break the deal.

MK ..... The "other" Mark

Thanks to everyone for their comments. What I thought was good apparently is but not great.

I'll go back and see if I can get him down another 3/4K...out the door. If not, I walk. As Mark says the ball is in my court.

We have property tax in my state. I figured I could save on that with a car that wasn't a new model year as well.

While I really love the looks, etc. I still need to drive it. Also I don't know how it is in the snow. It seems the back end would be really light. Any opinions from you folks in snow regions?

The ST does pretty well in the snow. With 4X4 you will have no problem. The back end is really not that light, I havent had any problems with it but some people here have put some sandbags in the bed to try and weigh it down. I have plowed through snow about as high as the tires with the ST before. I love driving it in the snow its a blast!

Offer than $23k, and negotiate to no higher than $23.5k. It's an 04, at this point, even without any real mileage you are looking at used-car pricing as the 2006 model year is already upon on. Oh, and work the best financing you can. Ford may still have some 1.9% incentives lying around, but I kinda doubt it.

the ST is great in the snow.

[Broken External Image]:

i dont like the stock tires very much in the snow. but the same can be said about almost any new stock tires on anything. i never added any sand bags..i also was scared the rear end would be light. but it wasent..when i had my ST we had a 3 1/2 snow strom come in over night. the next day i was out plowing thru uncleared roads. a 4x4 ST is a very good truck for snow country..mine did great here in alaska.

good luck with getting it. hope it works out!

ummm... my guess is she didn't buy the trac. she hasn't posted since 10/23

Latest posts