Issue with TPMS Even with New Sensors

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
Hello,
So, for the last six months or so, I was getting a TPMS Sensor Fault idiot light on my 2010 ST XLT 2-wheel drive. It has 183k on it.
About two years ago I got the same Sensor Fault, so I went into one of Fords Quick Lane and they replaced all four sensors and configured them.
I received no TPMS issues until six months ago.
Over the last six months I stopped at the very same Ford dealer Quick Lane four times and had them test the sensors. Each time they said they resynced each sensor and that there was no problems,
Again, sooner or later the light would come on again.
Yesterday I went back to the same dealer Quick Lane and had them install four brand new sensors.
Everything was fine for about ten hours, and low and behold a Tire Pressure Monitor Fault lit up. Now this was not the same Sensor Fault message.
So,l I am appealing to you all to try and help me to understand just what the problem is and any possible solutions. I am not, at this point, totally against, disabling the TPMS somehow.
Thanks,
Michael Murphy

I have the same problem with my 08 Limited. After having them checked for battery life which was ok, I just hit reset to take away the warning info and keep on trucking. It goes away everytime I stop and restart the truck.

I have the same problem with my 08 Limited. After having them checked for battery life which was ok, I just hit reset to take away the warning info and keep on trucking. It goes away everytime I stop and restart the truck.
Hi rexstter314,
I am simply sick of pressing the button. It turns off the message but does not extinguish he tire icon error.
Thanks
Murph

Hello, Mike. What I'm about to tell you may have nothing to do with your problem, but this is what happened with my chronic '08 TPMS fault. I started getting the fault at random times, but was always resettable, so I just lived with it. I planned to replace all the sensors at the next tire change. Before that happened, my truck also started having an unexplained engine shut down while driving. All this happened at various times and speeds. Sometimes going a couple weeks between shut-down. I could always cycle the key to the off position and the truck would start again and run great. My OBDII scanner showed only throttle body faults, which I addressed with no help. One day the truck went to limp mode and wouldn't reset. My local garage found a misfire on one of the cylinders, which my scanner had never picked up. The mechanic changed the coil on that cylinder and all was good. The coils were aftermarket which I installed some time before. He said the bad coil was breaking down and zapping the PCM which caused the engine shut-downs. He suggested I install all new FoMo coils as he'd seen this before with aftermarket coils. I was lucky my PCM wasn't fried. After that, my engine shut-down and TPSM problems never reoccurred. It's crazy, but it seems both issues were caused the the bad aftermarket coil which I had replaced as a set prior to both issues. My scanner never recorded a misfire, and the engine ran just fine (between shut-downs) with nothing to indicate there was a problem. I still don't understand how the TPMS tied into all this, but I dealt with it almost a year until all Ford coils were installed. Never had a problem in over three years now.

Dennis

Hi Dennis, wow, quite a fiasco.
I have just about had it with this TPMS issue.
I am about ready to order this scanner and software and be done with it. It shuts off the TPMS system completely...no related idot light.
I found a couple videos of it on youtube.
Here is the item, in case you are interested.
Thanks for your response.
Michael

https://www.amazon.com/Scanner-Adap...-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

You could have a bad BCM, Issue, is its like 4 hours to replace, &$800 part and needs fords programing. Also it may not be the issue.
Id truthfully try Autel aftermarket duel frequency valve stem sensors first. I have them in both of my 2010 and love them

Hello,
So, for the last six months or so, I was getting a TPMS Sensor Fault idiot light on my 2010 ST XLT 2-wheel drive. It has 183k on it.
About two years ago I got the same Sensor Fault, so I went into one of Fords Quick Lane and they replaced all four sensors and configured them.
I received no TPMS issues until six months ago.
Over the last six months I stopped at the very same Ford dealer Quick Lane four times and had them test the sensors. Each time they said they resynced each sensor and that there was no problems,
Again, sooner or later the light would come on again.
Yesterday I went back to the same dealer Quick Lane and had them install four brand new sensors.
Everything was fine for about ten hours, and low and behold a Tire Pressure Monitor Fault lit up. Now this was not the same Sensor Fault message.
So,l I am appealing to you all to try and help me to understand just what the problem is and any possible solutions. I am not, at this point, totally against, disabling the TPMS somehow.
Thanks,
Michael Murphy
I have a 2010 and it only goes off when on the highway or when it is really hot (everyday in Florida). When I took it to the place that did the tires they told be it need to be on when there (I hate that place). I just turn it off but want it fixed or find a way to turn it off. I get why it was installed on vehicles but it is annoying.

Hello all- I have the same problem as Murph has noted above, and as reported here several times over the last year on this forum. I have yet to resolve the issue and like all, it’s driving me crazy! New sensors are installed, programmed, and recognized. Still no good after 10 miles or so on the highway at speed.
My finger is worn out form resetting the TPMS “feature”…..
I’ll be following this thread.

Latest posts