Issues with another dealer in Maine

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M B

Reaction score
My hubby and I wanted to test drive the 2007 ST with the V6. (The only Sport Trac they have!) The dealer had one out front from a test drive when we pulled in. We were asked twice if anyone was helping us as, we said no, but would like someone too,as we looked at the locked ST. But no one offered to help us as they were running around doing I don't know what. So we walked over to some Mustangs. Another sales person came out, but silly us, to check to see if the vehicles were locked. My hubby asked what time they closed. The guy hollered back, 5pm. It was 4:22pm. Then, poof, he was gone too. So we walked inside the dealership. Not a single person was around. We stood in the showroom for about 5 minutes and all the dealer employees were all in one room with the door closed. One poor guy who just bought an Explorer, was handed his keys and the sales person headed towards the room. Never acknowledged that my hubby and I were standing there ready to ask some questions if they were getting ready to close and didn't want to test drive the ST. My hubby did speak up and ask when the V8's were coming in. The guy said soon and went into the room. My first mistake was this was the same dealer I bought my Ranger at 5 years ago. I cried when I drove it home because the sales guy was being a jerk to me after I signed the papers. Here's ANOTHER FORD DEALER I WON'T GO TO!!! My poor ST. I bought it used at a CHEVY delership cause the two Ford dealers wouldn't sell me one a few years ago. I guess the same is true today. Too bad Ford. :(

I lucked out and even though no salesman, when I went in and asked for one, not only did I get a salesman, but ended up getting helped by the person who does all the ordering :)

Who cares if it's Columbus Day weekend. The dealers don't close for those days. They are open to sell cars!

If that dealer wanted to sell cars they would stay open a few more hours if a few deals were being worked.

Wife and I spent an hour and a half at a dealer on Saturday trying to buy her a new car. Friggin' lying salespeople and all their goofy arguments and logic to try to justify their huge sales commissions. We finally just got up and walked out.

I've said it before and wish more folks would listen...don't negotiate a sale in person with a salesman. Take a test drive, figure out what you want, shop prices on edmunds.com, get alternate financing approved (especially helpful if buying a used car), then call the sales guy or gal and start the negotiations over the phone. If more people would do this fewer clueless sales people would be hired.

A lot of places won't do any negotiations over the phone without you showing up first and starting the negotiation process.

Best advice...if you aren't comfortable with the salesman, get a different one or go someplace else. A good salesman will be able to tell what kind of person you are and cater to that in order to get the sale.

An educated buyer can EASILY outsmart car salesmen. When I bought my last 4 vehicles I walked in and said this is what I want, and I will pay this amount. If you want to sell a car and make a few bucks ( not hundreds) and I will be gone in 20 minutes fine, if not I will go down the street to someone else.

And I always ask for the sales manager to avoid the salesmen walking back and forth, and saying "let me see what I can do" BS. And then the salesmen comes back with a crazy number and a smilly face on it. Saying "You just stole the vehicle from them"

They make me laugh and my wife always gets a kick out of watching me work them over, and wondering what I am going to say to them next.

When I bought my ST, it was easy, I told them I will pay this amount and the salesmen sold me a vehicle that had leather and a sunroof, and the 6 disk Pioneer system for the same price as a vehicle without those options. He told me, they did not want to order the vehicle for me, ( lease return, and I would loose the incentives) or have me to leave and buy from another dealer, so they ate the difference. That is also the reason I have bought 4 vehicles from the same dealer and all my service by them as well.

Sorry for the long post, but you can save alot of money and grief by educationg yourself.

I bought mine and had done all the research for my trade and the ST online. Told what I would pay, bottom line. They said no way... kept on them for a week or so, they finally called me the last of the month and said come get it.....

we could ahve saved a lot of time if they had done the deal in the first place.....

In defense of the sales guys, it is Columbus day weekend! 4:22 on a Friday before a long weekend?

It was Saturday. We had just left the Hyundai dealer and they didn't run and hide when we test drove and asked questions before they were to close. Besides, we just wanted to test drive the new ST. I guess we would have been wasting their time anyways. We're pretty happy with the cream puff we have.

M B I too am in Maine and I only have one Ford Dealership near me to choose from. Im taking the ST in tommorow for a bunch of service and will see how they do this time last time I was not impressed at all (trying to get me to pay for something that should be fixed under waranty and blowing off my other issues saying there was no problem). Not sure what dealership you are refering to but I have always had good luck with the Ford dealer in Bangor and if this one doesn't work out I may just drive the 2 hours to get to them.

Chad's story sounds similiar to my last few sales experiences with Sloan Ford,

Columbia, TN. I did my research, went in to them with a solid price in mind for

what I wanted, while leaving myself a little "wiggle room", such as if the vehicle

they had had an extra option or two, and I was pre-approved by my Credit Union.

I told the salesman that I knew they had to make a living, and pay the "Light Bill"

that month, but I was not going to pay anyone's "Boat Payment" that month, either!!!

Two and a half hours later, I walked (Drove!) out in my new '05 Trac, in Black!!!

Same experience for my wife's new '07 Mariner...

By the way, Gotta Love that Limited Edition "Lunar Silver" she has!

What an eye-catcher!

:cool:

Hey firedog! Oh, don't worry. This dealer isn't near you. Oh, what the hell, it's Clair Ford in Saco. I did the dealer card on them.