Itouch worth it?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Abson 3

Reaction score
Anyone got the ipod Touch? Was thinking of putting it on my Christmas list, but want to be sure its really worth it. got a few questions:

1) How long does the battery last - in terms of use and 'standby' time. If I go with it, I would use it as my primary music player for a commute wich takes about 2 to 3 hours a day.

2) Does it have calender capabilities that sync with Outlook? Also, if its in 'standby' mode, or even 'off', will it re-activate and inform me of an event? I use an iPaq right now, and although I like it, cant really carry it in my pocket. so before I get rid of it, want something that works similar.

reason I am looking at the touch, is that even if Verizon does manage to get the iPhone (which I really REALLY want), they will probably require us to go with one of thier expensive internet plans, which I don't want. So, the touch is next best thing.

Plus, looking for first hand, (relatively) un-biased opinions out there from fellow trac'ers!

My neighbor HAD an ipod touch and it was really cool. Someone stole it at the school locker room during football practice he thinks.

Not as good as an iphone, but does wifi really well.

I just recently got an 8gig touch from a friend. I like it. I use it mainly as a music player and a little of internet surfing. It does have calender capabilities and I don't know about outlook but I feel like it would work with it. The battery life is good if you don't use the screen alot. What I mean is if you set your music on shuffle and lock the screen back it should easily make the commute with you. I don't know about the event stuff but it is so customizable you can just about make it do whatever you want. As far as worth it, I got mine through some wheeling and dealing and basically its not really mine but my friend has a 16gig and I am using this one while we live together. So to me to buy one brand new, I wouldn't do it. But I have zero extra funds. If you can get one used I would because if you know what your doing and are willing you can get the apple store to replace it with a refurb for free. The one I have now was bought used a while back and was scratched and beat to hell. My friend took it in because the lock button was sticking and he got them to replace it for a refurb that looked brand new for free.

I bought the largest model available, cost 400 bucks. If mine was lost or stolen tomorrow, I'd do it again in a heart beat.

The thing is great. The apps can be very cool and in many cases very practical. Literally thousands and thousands of them are free.

Plays videos and TV shows very well.

As long as you have WiFi, it surfs the net very well. The mail works very well and it automatic once you get on the net.

I have about 600 songs on mine and something like 40 hours of video.

If it was available for the Verizon network I would have bought the iPhone.

If you do it and you plan on using cash or debit card, go to Giant Eagle and get gift cards, you will get 20 cents off for every gallon per 50 bucks you spend.

I filled my tank for under 3 dollars...

Last edited by a moderator:
filled your tank for under 3 bucks? How much is gas for you? I do the Safeway thing here. 10 cents off every gallon for every 100 you spend. The wife and I use the same card, so I filled up once for 1.60! had 90 cents off per gallon! With the wife's hybrid, I tend to get the bonus.

I realize that the thing is great with audio and video, but I have the same thing with my iPaq. If I want to replace the iPaq with the touch, want to be sure calender events are handled if not the same, at least similar. I like the event and notification alarm even if its off.

And Coastie, ever though of putting on that program that tracks your electronics? Called Gadgettrak. Kinda like Lowjack for your ipods and stuff. Its only like 14 bucks a year. if its stolen, and the thief plugs into the internet, the system gathers location information and sends it to the company, who then let you know where it is.

Coastie...I got you beat.

Between the prescriptions transfers between Theresa, myself, and Molly (our dog), we went 3 months and only paying 3 cents for 30 gallons of fuel.

Jerry, Giant Eagle, a grocery store in our area, offers 10 cents off a gallon for every $50.00 you spend in the store, 10 cents for every $50.00 you spend on gift cars (they have hundreds of different retailers from airlines to restraunts to hotels to online retailers to electronics...etc.). On top of that, if you transfer a prescription from one Giant Eagle to another, you get a buck off a gallon...with a coupon, of course.

Pretty sweet deal.

Tom

Tom,,,

I am not sure if you have me beat. That means you SPENT a LOT of money to win... LOL

My oldest daughter takes more than the normal amount of meds as well, we unfortunately get fuel discounts all the time. Thank god for co-pays. Even then, some are not covered and are a bit expensive..

Latest posts