Jeff C, Q for U.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Kulbaba

Reaction score
Heya. I wanted to try an optima yellowtop in my ST. I see you have one, but I am wondering what model it is, and how you have it sitting in place?

Also, noticed you got NOS... Easy to install? And you run a little under 12 second 1/4 mile? I want some ;) hahahaha, NOS w/ Supercharger? :)

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the Optima is a D34/78, picked it up on eBay for around $130 shipped a little over two years ago. To hold it in place, I got a battery tie down kit from an auto store, and used the little wedge piece to hold it in.

The nitrous install is not finished yet. I still need to hook up all the buttons and switches, gauges (nitrous pressure, fuel pressure, and wideband O2), change plugs, and get it tuned. But the purge looks nice and scared the crap outta the ricer kid across the street, lol.

A 12 second 1320 in an ST? I'll belive that when I see it. With the coefficient of drag the ST has, you'd need a lot of HP to overcome the aerodynamic forces against you.

Oh, I'm sure it's possible, just not with the 4.0, stock drivetrain, or anything. Maybe you could get a drag car and stick a ST body on there...

I'm aiming to be in the 13s before next summer is over.

Possible, of course, anythign is possible, but the amount of work that would need to be done would pretty much elimiate the vehicle from road duty. You could drop a lot of weight off the vehicle, that'd help a bunch. Get real low to the ground, and improve the front end so it doesn't push so much air under the vehicle. The rake of the windshield is still really flat and will provide a huge amount of resistance....eh, I could go on for days about automotive aerodymaics.

Get real low to the ground

Get rid of those tall tires, and that alone will add some time to the 1/4 mile.....

Jeff never said he runs 12's. IN a previous race post some one was talking 12's and Jeff said he would race their ST not the 12 second car they where talking about.....

Good old miss communication....

But I know many 46 people in the 12's, It takes money, But i think a fresh rebuild on that 4.0, with a S/C and maybe a 80 shot you can do it....

Also add 4:56 and good traction devices, It would be a fun freaking ride..LOL......

Todd Z

Todd, you done any more research on the RAS being used as a traction bar? Since I've about got all the power I think I'm gonna get outta the ST for now, I'd like it to hook, without throwing bits of the tranny all over the track.

Jeff, They actually make a traction bar that bolts to the bottom of the leaf spring perch and then you just make a bar to go up to the front Eye lit...

Like the old school SSm bars.....

I did make the bracket once upon a time, But they where selling them relatively cheep, Let me see if I can find the link....

OR we could simply make another set...

I have to re weld my trailer lift gate in a month or so, i could manufacture them then....

Todd Z

Just looked, They only list the explorer only, And they are $400.00 bucks....

they do not mount under the spring to save ground clearance, BUT I know the under spring bars work much better and are stronger, these are tubular steel. The ones I am think of are square steel with fixed mounting....

Todd Z

Jeff never said that he ran a 12s 1/4... I just wanted to clarify that. I just looked in his library and seen that he had some print outs posted and one was showing the winner was a little under 12sec... For some reason I assumed this was his ST after Nitrous for some reason ;)

Lol, no, that was a Lightning. The class I raced in, "Tough Truck" was all Lightnings, and one lone supercharged nitrous'd Ranger. Or it could have been one of the warm up time trial runs in which I was running mostly Mustangs.