Jekyll & Hyde

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lance Cann

Reaction score

Hello Everyone,

I have been enjoying my 2004 ST for a few weeks now, very nice to drive vehicle with a lot of utility.

This weekend we got some freezing rain which made the streets very slick, so I decided to pop it into 4x4 and see how it does and whoa! as soon as it clicked in to 4x4 there was a LOT more driveline/road noise and the truck wants to wander all over the road! It turned into a totally different truck. I have to make constant corrections on the steering wheel to keep the truck in line, it is almost scary. I did not like this, so I flipped it back to 2wd and it would not unlock for many blocks, I made it almost all the way back home before it went back into 2wd and started behaving normally again. What the heck could be causing this?? I realized today that these things are NOT fun to drive on slippery streets in 2wd, but the way mine acts in 4x4 makes it even scarier.. The only thing I can think of is that the front and rear tires don't match in brand name, but they are all the same size, but I have had 4x4's before with unmatched tires and NEVER experienced anything like this with them.

Can anyone help before I take it in to a dealership and start paying them big $$$ to diagnose?

I'd say it has nothing to do with the tires at all. Sounds like the transfer case might be pooched.

Latest posts