Jerry, question about your 3in drop

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Phillips

Reaction score
Jerry, how do you like the 3in drop as opposed to the 2in? How's the wheel rub? (my tires are close to the same size as yours) How's the ride? Any issues? Now that I've determined I will drop Jade, now I'm torn to how far I want to go.:wacko:

Thanks!

Are you runnin' bumpstops Jeff?

Where did you get your drop kit? I was originally going to use the EE kit, but if I go 3...

How's the ride?

And where do you get the camber kit?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not running bump stops, and I haven't trimmed mine. I bottom out on potholes, speed bumps, etc. I got the kit off a member on here like a year and a half ago, and it sat in my closet until last summer when I finally got it in. The camber kit came from an online store, and it was like $40, I can't remember where, but hopefully there's a member here who knows. It cost $85 to have it installed and have everything aligned to the way I wanted it. I won't lie, the ride is rough and bouncy. My dad likens it to a Cadillac's, as I still have the stock shocks and it's nice and bouncy, but I haven't felt the need to upgrade yet, maybe in the future.

On the tail lights, I just used the glue that was there; when you pull the cover off, it shouldn't be gooey or messy, mine came off pretty cleanly, and when it was time to reassemble, I just heated the pieces up again, and mashed them together, and held them together for about 5min.

Thanks! As long as it doesn't ride like a Deuce and a half it'll be cool. :lol:

One more thing, what all is included in the camber kit? I was reading on the X-spec kit, and it was saying something along the lines that the camber adjusters come with it, but I don't know. I was thinking of getting the X-spec kit for the newer ST (with the 3in blocks, and just have a couple of parts [looks like differant torsion bolts] left over)

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff C: man how did you get the ac vents off to paint them? i mean how do they come off?? cus i want to paint my vents, door trims , and stuff

You just pull. They're held in by little plastic clips.

Larry, the camber kit was just a bunch of washers, and I think some bolts. I didn't study it carefully because I had no intention of installing it myself.

Larry Phillips/NX-01, the bolts and nuts at the bottom of the picture are the camber adjusting cams. The replace the factory non-adjustable bolts on the front suspension.

Yes. I had Big O in Woodland do mine all at the same time. I installed the blocks first, than took it to Big O last weeek. Today I installed the shorter bump stops.

Larry, originally I had the trac lowered 2" in the rear, and the bottoming out was a little annoying on speed bumps. I trimmed about an inch and a half off the stock bump stops, and the bottoming out went away. When I put the 3" blocks on, the bottoming out problem came back in full effect. If I would have replaced or removed the bump stops, I'm sure it would of been a better ride.

I plan to re-install some 2" blocks when I get back home in August since I liked the ride better with the trac lowered than at stock height. I lifted it back up because I thought I was going to sell it, but decided to hand on to it. Since we are driving the ALCAN back to Alaska around mid August, 2" is all the more I want to go down, and I'll probably lower the front an inch and a half.

I finally found my energy suspension bump stops for the front that I bought months ago. They got lost and re-appeared as we were packing. I never had problems with the front bottoming out, so I'm not sure I'll take the time to install them. As for the rear, I think an aftermarket set of bumpstops is a good idea.

Your trac is gonna look sweet lowered!:cool:

Jeff,

Your timeslips, that's with an intake and the exhaust mods only?

How does the truck handle a load or towing with the lowered suspension?

Thanks,

Sam

Sam,

Volant CAI, straight piped Lightning style exhaust...no muffler, and very short pipes, RandomTech Y-Pipe available through WFoy, and a custom 91octane "Race" tune on my XCalibrator also available from WFoy. Removed spare tire, tailgate, and tonneau cover to lose another 200lbs. I'm about to have some new wheels, and I"m thinking of having a set of race slicks for when I go to the track. I can't keep the rear end planted to the ground if I launch over 2000rpms. My goal is to hit 14.9 naturally aspirated, and I'm pretty close right now. If I add a RandomTech Catalytic converter, upgrade my spark plug wires, get better tires, and I'm looking into a locker for the rear end, then I may be able to achieve that goal.

I recently loaded about 800lbs of sand and dirt for some yard work I was doing, and it handled...like there was 800lbs of sand and dirt in the bed. I wasn't taking corners at 60mph and speeding around town, just driving the speed limit and being aware that I was hauling extra weight. I haven't towed anything in about 2 years since we sold our lake house, and that was before it was lowered, so I can't help you there, sorry.

Latest posts