Jerry, question about your 3in drop

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, Larry, that's the one. I have 4.10 LSD...but I'm always spinning the rear passenger tire off the line, like, really bad, and sometimes it will hop for the first 30ft.

Larry, I don't think you'll be able to trim the stock rear bump stops any more due to the mounting bolt. You can see on a tapered section on the stock bump stops about an inch and a half from the bottom. That is the line I used to trim mine. They go fairly easily with just a sharp kitchen knife.

I thought I had some rubbing issues in the front on my swaybar, but found that it was something else. My tires do not rub at stock height, 2" or 3" lower.

After raising it back up and taking off the swaybar and Edelbrock shocks, I sure do miss the handling that I had before!

Also, I never carried much of a load in the bed, but when I had 4 people in the cab, I noticed quite a bit more bottoming out.

I used the EE parts for everything.

I jacked up the front and removed the wheels, 10mm socket on 3/8 dr ratchet, and 5 minutes later I put the wheels back on.

The rear was pretty easy too. Jacked up the body, dropped the spare tire for better access. 15mm wrench to remove and 15 minutes later I raised the spare and lowered the ST.

Yes, I used jack stands. I always use them, even my brand new Craftsman SUV 3-ton floor jack leaked at the piston seal, so back it goes.

Larry, if you're thinking about trimming the stock bump stops, be careful to not trim off too much. If you trim off too much, the axle tube might hit the metal mounting bolt, and while it won't cause any immediate harm, it certainly isn't helping things any.

3" is is for wussies...you should go like 6", 7", somewhere around there is much better...lol. Put that frame less then a foot from the ground, and the front x-member less then 4" from the ground...

Larry, I installed the 3" blocks then took it to Big O. They installed the adjustable camber cams, adjusted the torsion bars for the drop, and aligned it for $169.95.

Travis, what the heck are you talking about? 3",6", or 7" drop or ground clearance on the front/rear? My 3" (rear) and 1 3/8" (front) drop is marginally streetable. Add a two/three passengers and the ride will SUCK, pond water. But I'm sure it will look great, parked.

lol Paul....It'd be plenty streetable. It's all a matter of if you don't mind a ride that is worse then stock. I personally don't care how hard the truck rides, because I really don't notice it. I just drive around the holes and such, not over them like in a regular truck, or even car. Of course, your idea of "streetable" and mine are probably REALLY different...to me streetable has nothing to do with comfort or ground clearance, or even horsepower, but more along the lines of "how many tickets am I asking to get driving this thing?", and if the answer is not enough to get the vehicle impounded, then it's streetable...doesn't matter if it's street legal or not. For isntance the '66 project truck I'm working on...no a/c, no heat, no windshield wipers, only one mirror (and it's too small to be of any use), shaved doors, low stance, almost straight pipes, and a nicely built motor in a lightweight package....plenty streetable, just not street legal.

I've had my truck filled with three adults (only got three seats, lol) and a week's worth of luggage for all of us, rode fine and only drug the ground once, which was coming into the driveway, there's a bit of a crest at the very top.

Latest posts