Jolt

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordan Tremblay

Reaction score
I have only owned my ST for about 3 weeks and I have been reading on the forum about the Transmission issues and they have been scaring me. Well about a week ago or so I was driving about 45 or 50 and felt like my ST jolted a little. I was not accellerating because I was on the interstate in my high volume commute. I was driving pretty steady (if not deccelerating) at about 45 and I felt it. I have not felt it since and do not even know if it was anything to due with the car, it might have been a bump in the road that I did not see. But after reading all over the forum about the Transmission issues, it is scaring me to death as the car is less than a month new to me. I read something about if you catch the Transmission issues early then it will only cost a little, but if they get bad, then it will cost a ton. Is this something I should go get checked out?

Something similar to this happened about 2 or 3 years ago with my 96' Explorer and I brought it to a Trans shop and they changed out something called a "speedometer gear"??? Is this happening again? What is the deal? Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you simply felt the converter lock up...... IT locks up around 45....

Todd Z

Mine has done this around 45mph. I can count on my fingers how many times. It started 3 to 4 years ago. I'm not worried. But I do not understand what is going on either. I just thought the Trac was wanting to pull a dodge out of a ditch.:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
mine did it yesterday around 3-4 times in the speed of 45-50mph... hoping its nothing all that serious also

Does the torque converter on a ST have a lockup clutch? If it does maybe this is causing it. I think Todd maybe talking about that?

Oh I thought this post might be about Jolt the soda that used to help get me through the double shifts until everyone stopped selling it. Guess not.

Jordan we can split the cost of the psychologist for transmission anxiety...haha...every time I drive mine now I am worried.

P.S. Jolt soda was the shit!

Sounds like a deal. Everytime I drive my truck, I do nothing but think about, "what happens if the ST I bought has terrible transmission problems?" I will get over it soon. I am very good with preventative maitenance and take very good care of my car (I probably could have put another 125K on my 96' Explorer if I wanted to, but was ready for an upgrade). If I keep on top of it, hopefully I will be rewarded with a healthy car. Plus, it is worth the risk in my opinion because I like the ST so much. It is perfect!