just bought a 2001 sport trak

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robert broere

Reaction score
i was wondering what if anything bad should i expect from this vechile.i pick it up in a couple of hours.test drove it .and i love the way it drives.have'nt owned a ford in a couple of years.so i hope i have the same good experience with this one that i had with my mustang .

First thing you should know is it is a "Sport Trac." Welcome to the board. There is a wealth of information here. How many miles is on the ST?

Ask if the seller has done any upgrades to it; especially the shocks & rear anti-sway bar. If not you need to do them plus the front end links. How many miles on it? Also, be aware of the automatic transmission 2/3 flare. Ask for any maintenance records too.

If it has original shocks then get rid of them fast. Also get better sway bar, then it will handle much better. Only other worry is possible tranny problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought an 02 2WD this summer and so far, so good. It's my second Ford truck. I was not impressed with my Ranger, but took a chance on the Sport Trac. If you have a rear sliding window, I'd get a wind deflector otherwise debris and water can enter the window when it's in vent position. I use this quite a bit. There have been recalls on this truck, so it would be a good idea to see if it's been serviced for those.

I have an 01 that I bought new in July 2000 and love it. It has only 63,000 miles on it and I have done several upgrades or changes to it. Then only problem I have had so far was I had to have the 4 x 4 switch replaced. If you don't know for sure, check your cruise control under the hood to see if it has been replaced or the Ford fused harness added to it. They had some problems with the red ones catching fire. You can do a search either in the forums or under projects, I think there is one there. Also if you are where you can, there will be a national meet in Louisville Kentucky this year on Fathers Day weekend. You get to tour the plant where they are made, talk to the engineers, meet other ST owners and see what they have done to theirs. I hope I typed this right, Iam hurrying to post this before I go get my grandson from school. Oh and be sure to wave and or hong at any other ST owner you see. The people on this site are a great bunch and are willing to answer and help you any way they can.

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the site. :D:D

You will find a wealth of information here and very helpful caring members.

All the above are great upgrades to the Sport Trac. You also might want to look out for the common cracked elbow problem. See pics below. I have an 01 with 139,000 miles and other then the regular maintenance and up keep it has been trouble free. (knock on wood:D)

Paul H

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
That one did get me while on a trip to Key West. Had the check engine light come on; cause a bit of panic till I had it scanned which stated something about banks being too lean.

"01 with only 60,000? impressive! I have a 03 with 75,000 now i believe."

I've still got him- my '01 Job 2 just recently rolled past 43,000. (I love my 10-minute Tallahassee commute.)

thanks for all the info.everyone seems really cool.iv'e been looking to replace my jeep for a while. and when i saw this i had to take a look.i ended up paying 8800 for it.the dodge dealer that had it was asking some crazy price originaly.like 13900.i waited till he dropped down to 10000.then when in to haggle. he tried to sell me a 2 wheel drive dakota first.

I have an 01 Job 1 with 90,000 miles on it. I would agree with those that stated you want to replace the shocks with some aftermarkets.. and get the sway bars (front and back) replaced (added). It helps with the body roll.

Otherwise, the only problem I have had is finding aftermarket parts that fit. It might say for an 01, but sometimes it doesn't quite fit like it should (example: Nerf bars would not, I had to drill new holes for the back bracket.

But when things don't fit right, it allows for more creativity.

You want impressive how about an 02 with 42,000 miles on it!! Nevermind the fact the engine just blew up on it new years eve.

Welcome to the site from one Long Islander to another...

Todd Z