Just have a few ST problem questions...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Szkutak

Reaction score
Ok, lately there's been a few minor problems with my 01' 104k. First is with the tranny. When i first start up in the morning and begin driving, it will acclerate and shift fine, just it wont go into 5th gear for a good 10 minutes. It stays in 4th, then once it warms up i guess it shifts into 5th. No od light flashing or anything, nothing more than the usual 1-2 and 2-3 flare when cold only.... I have about 22k on my current tranny fluid, maybe just time to change it. What fluid does everyone recommend? Can we use Redline tranny fluid in our tracs??? Thats supposed to be good ive heard. Also, if i go to my local tranny place to have it changed, i wonder if they will do the epc adjustment? Will that fix the 1-2 and 2-3 flares??

The next problem is with the brakes. Last week my rear left brake line-the one that goes acorss the back of the differential- caught a nick in it, and it broke open. I had the line replaced, the rear brakes bleed and refilled, all good. But now, the rear brakes seem to be very touchy. If i get on them at all at low speeds, the rear end locks up and comes to a skid. Is there an adjustment that can be made?? I dont feel like wearing out my new tires because of touchy brakes.

The third problem is with my air conditioning. The switch connecting power to it, looks almost like a computer plug is bad. With it plugged in, i have a terribly rough idle. Is it the switch or something else with the ac..I was quoted about $150 if its just the switch, which my mechanic is almost positive about.

i appreciate all your help on any of these problems. This is getting to be too much for me lol.

Must be because i have the dreaded silver trac hex...

Thanks,

Andy

Trans fluid : the book is pretty clear about Mercon V. Other oils might do, but I would go with the book. For the EPC adjustment, it's a quarter turn on a screw. I think you can do both (trans. oil change and EPC adjust.) yourself. You don't have much to lose at this point.

Did this started at the last trans. fluid change ? If yes, check the level again and make sure that the oil used was "compatible" with the ST. A quick search on Redline tells me that it is approved for Dexron and Mercon, but I have never tried it.

For the brakes : since you just had them done, go back to the same place.

For the A/C : Yep! Switches are expensive! Do you have the service manual ? Try to look for the part yourself and see if they have a return policy. You can try a new one and if nothing improve; return it.