Just my thank you to Doug at Bama Chips.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Z

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
I just wanted to share my story, not to long but worth it to read, about my experience with Doug from Bama chips since the other tuner went MIA.

Almost 2 years ago I was looking for performance parts and found the C&L MAF website. After calling them, they referred me to Doug. After 1 phone call to Doug, he knew what I was looking for and had my C&L in the mail to me. I think he even gave me the one he was running on test vehicles. I was ecstatic because the price and shipping was great!! He also told me about his tuning at that time and went so far as to send me a free tune to try out with the C&L. I was running the tunes I had bad luck with from Apten Chips and his tunes seemed to be better but not exactly what I wanted. I was learning my self about this stuff and made a mistake on my part which was not to contact Doug for another tune since I was already dealing with the other tuner. (We know who)

Well after the other tuner went bye bye and Doug was back on the site again as a sponsor, I re-contacted him again. Surprising enough he remembered me and even still had my data file in his system. We went back and forth with 10 emails or so with me explaining exactly what I wanted. It only took 2 tries with 1 data log in the middle to get exactly what I wanted from Doug for my truck. Doug did not even have to be here to run my truck. He knew what I wanted by my emails and sent me the right tunes. Since then I had some wacky ideas with tunes and Doug was willing to even send me those to test out just to see how they performed. Some worked, and some did not. Doug even went so far as to mail me his data logger since I do not have an Xcal2 and just the 9100 tuner. This was something also promised to me from some one else but I will not say who…. This was an expensive piece of equipment and Doug trusts me with it.

I also have seen Doug help out several of other local members here with tunes, emails, and sometimes just general information via Emails. He even promised some one a part by a certain date and went so far as to overnight mail it with no extra cost. That to me is GREAT!!! No stories about, ohh I will get to it, or some BS about shipping was returned, it was labeled wrong, well you get the Idea.

I just felt I had to post this due to all the help I have gotten from Doug and that I will stand behind his tuning and recommend him.

I know we now have other site sponsors that do tuning and I am sure they do a great job.

This was just my way to thank Doug for everything he has done for me and my fellow site members.

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
I sent an inquiry about an Xcal2 to him through his site a number of days ago and never got an answer.

I bought and Xcal2 from him and have problems with it, and sent an email a few days ago, no reply. I hope I can get the same service as ToddZ got eventually.

3 1/2 hours after my above post he answered my email from last week. I guess he is watching the site. I asked more questions and will note how long it takes for those to get answered.

Johnny B, I think he answers e-mails in bunches. Like he'll sit down once or twice a week and just answer every e-mail he has.

Well, not to slam him too hard, I drove down there from Cincinnati for a custom Dyno tune. Many e-mails confirming date,time and place. Well, I get there, and no Doug and nobody at the dyno place that he uses knew he was supposed to be there. After 2 hours and the owner of the dyno arriving and not knowing that Doug was supposed to be there, and about 15-20 calls, we finally get ahold of Doug - he FORGOT ABOUT ME. He finally arrives 3.5 hours late. Then, not too much his fault, but computer and wire connection problems abound. After getting the tune done, it was 5:30 Bama time (supposed to start at 10 a.m.), then i'm off to Gatlinburg ... but since the dyno went so late, I missed the check in time for the cabin & had to get a hotel room (at 11 p.m.).

Not the end of it. Since the tuner wouldn't connect to his computer, he put the tune on a chip & left it in my truck so he could take my SCT programmer back to his office, load them, then send it to me. I sent him my address to send it to (end of November), and after about 5-6 e-mails, I finally sent a not-so-pleasant e-mail that got his attention New Years eve (a month later). He got it loaded with 2 other tunes (torque & dyno-tune adjusted for reg. unleaded) and sent it ASAP. In fairnes, the programs are pretty good, just everthing else was lacking.

After comparing this dyno tune to my last dyno run (that was done before adding the y-pipe & Todd's t-body mod), the difference was 9.3 hp & 7.7 lb/ft torque @ max, but torque was better in 4000-4500 range by about 10-11 lb/ft.

Everything was fine til I got there, but the follow-thru was terrible ... knowing that I was coming there from Cincinnati, I would have expected better ... but all I got was infuriated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts