Just Purchased a 2003 ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cesar Macias

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2003 ST XLT Premium 2WD yesterday form a repo service dealer. Of course, nothing is too good to be true and I wanted to see if you guys can help me get my truck streight! A few things i noticed was:

-When in park, if i try to rev up the engine, it sputters as if there is a rev limiter. Do these trucks have a rev limiter? In drive, it hauls and the truck funtions normal.

-The cruise control doesn't work. I checked the fuse box and they are all okay. The light for cruise doesn't even light up.

-The check engine light was on when i bought it, but since then, i've disconnected the battery to retrieve the keyless pad code from behind the airbag, and the check engine light is off now.

- The oil was a bit low (needs 1qt) and real black. Could this have caused the engine light to turn on?

I plan on changing the oil, and a full tune-up. (plugs, wires, air filter, gas filter). Any other suggestions?

I also read that the timing belts should be changed after 100k, but that there are expensive and difficult to change? Is this true?

Also, i've read the tranny fluid should be changed, but that once they are changed, they tend to go out.

Alright guys and gals, I hope the descriptions helped and that you can shed some light before i move foward.

Thanks,

Cesar

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes there a limiter. If you threw a code it will most likely come back. Auto Zone or advance auto can read it for you. As far as the cruise goes, don't know, someone might chime in. Tranny fluid should be changed every 30K with a filter with Ford fluid that has an additive the tranny needs.

Might want to get an intake upgrade and maybe a SCT tuner for the computer. Then, hang on to your wallet, lots of other stuff to do too. TB. MAS, sway bars, shocks, etc.

Another thing to check about the Cruise Control issue.

There was a recall for the cruise control switch mounted on the brake master cylinder assembly. For a while, the fix hardware was unavailable and users were advised to disconnect the wiring to the switch. You might want to check that to see in the wiring to that switch has been disconnected.

Welcome to MYST.

I'd suggest changing oil, coolant and filters for the time being. Just so you know where you are in regards to them.

I don't think I'd follow Gary D's advice about changing the trans fluid and filter just yet though. If it's shifting fine, then let it be. I too have heard that a trans fluid change will head into problems.

Again, Welcome to MYST

Welcome to the site, Cesar.

In addition to the suggestions above, I suggest that, with 109k on it, you also change the thermostat, hoses, surpentine belt (60"), and water pump. When changing the fluids (engine oil, tranny fluid & diff. oil) use a full synthetic; I chose Royal Purple, but Mobile 1, Amsoil, etc. will work fine. Before changing the tranny fluid do a complete tranny flush first.

Also, upgrade your shocks if still OEM, add the Explorer Express sway bar, definately upgrade the ones from AutoZone (MOOG Problem Solvers in AutoZone box).

If tranny fluid is dark and gritty, leave it alone and leave it in the trans. Only thing to do would be to get a trans overhaul or let it be. If you the fuild is dark and gritty and you flush it or excheange fluid, the trans will fail shortly.

Boodro

Since when are we not to change our tranny fluid? I read a lot of posts in the search section (not every one, but a lot) about tranny fluid and didn't read anything about it. Many have changed the fluid with no issues. ???

I thought this link had good advice.

You can change it, but just not if the fluid is dark and gritty. Most shops will tell you they will not do a flush if its dark and gritty, because if the liabilty issues. I dont touch it at all. I tell me customers to ethier leave it alone or do a trans overhual.

Boodro

I ran a Pennzoil 10 Minute Oil Change for several years and I agree with not changing the trans fluid if its dirty, burnt or full and shifting fine.

I had people sign a waiver if they insisted on a change. In 1 year I had 11 waivers signed, of those, 8 transmissions failed shortly after the service, and lo and behold, 3 of them still tried to sue me.

If you buy it new and change the fluid regularly you will have no problems, but you NEVER fool around with one thats shifting fine if you dont know its service history.

Just my educated opinion.

Welcome...the trac has no timing belts. Cams are chaindriven. I disagree about the dirty trans fluid. I might not do a flush. I would drop the pan cahnge the screen/filter, and add the amount it takes to fill the pan. It will still be dirty as it mixes with what doesnt drain. It will replace some of the lube and hydralic properties of the burnt fluid.

My experiance is. If the trans is going to fail it will anyway.

I just purchased an '04 with 45k, and per recommendations from this site and my own used car experiences, I'll be doing the following soon:

New shocks - Monroe Reflex's

New rear sway bar - explorer express

New sway bar end links - MOOG's (AutoZone's are MOOG's)

Tranny Flush / fluid / filter

Oil Change

I'd definitely recommend the suspensions upgrades, as they make a better, safer ride. I've had my trac for a week and have already noticed that the suspension needs an upgrade ASAP.

As for the tranny fluid, I think you'll have to make a judgement call after inspecting the fluid.

Congrats on the new purchase and welcome to the club! You'll find a lot of great info here.

Gary- Changing your fluid every 30K and it never gets dirty, burnt, or gritty, is very good. It doesnt necessarily mean everything will be ok, because things can still fail. But that it is a great way to take care of the Trans. Most will not do it every 30K. Keep going with it and your trans will last.

Seeing as how I just got mine as well I will be doing all of what you guys have mentioned here.

Shocks, Sway bar, and links. Did anyone ever do a project on changing out the end links?

Latest posts