K&N FIPK & Factory Warranty Issue

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamie Hunter

Reaction score
I want to install a K&N FIPK (57-2529-1) on my 2005 Sport Trac and have read and viewed all the valuable insight from this forum. It seems the overall view is that that the K&N FIPK is nice piece of kit. Having said that, my concern is my warranty. I have read K&N's policy on this matter regarding the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. As this Act is a USA Act I'm not sure if it covers Canada? So, for those that are interested I have sent an email to Ford Canada before I order and install. Should be interesting and I'll post their reply once I get it. :rolleyes:

I must also say that this site has been and will be a great source of information for my new Sport Trac. Have learned lots already and just wanted to add some input.

Jamie

Here is the deal,

IF ford has to remove your intake to replace something, they will not touch your intake...

IF any thing like the MAF goes bad, they can void the warranty on that, That is basically it...

Todd Z

Cotton gauze filters that require oiling like the K&N will bleed a small quantity of oil mist into the intake air stream. Over time this oil can contaminate the MAF sensor wires, causing the engine to run erratically. This is more common after the filter has been cleaned and re-oiled, especially if excessive oil was used. Ford can legally charge you for cleaning or replacing an oil contaminated MAF sensor but cannot void your warranty on the rest of the vehicle.

If you use the K&N and sometime in the future your engine begins to run erratically, it would be wise to clean the MAF sensor wires before taking it to Ford for any warranty work. Cleaning the MAF may clear up the problem and not require any servicing by Ford.

...Rich

Thanks all for the quick response. Ford Canada has recieved my email and I'll post their response. I would imagine they will state the same points that Todd and Rich have made. Out of curiousity I'll post Ford's response.

Todd what of type of intake is installed in your ST? Curious and how has it treated you?

Thanks again, all.

Latest posts