K&N FIPK installed, but now engine is acting up

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt DeFina

Reaction score
Hello all,

I had the K&N FIPK installed on my truck 2 weeks ago, but engine seems to be having some problems now... my ST has stalled 3X since, after a 1 hour drive to work (mostly HWY), I wait at a stop light to turn into the office and sitting at idle. then the engine stalls..

I have also noticed what seems like the the engine stumbling sometimes now as well.. at speed, I can feel what seems like a misfire.

I have tried disconnecting the battery to reset the computer, in case the installers forgot to do that. and haven't had any stalls in a few days, but same misfire feel occasionally..

Any guidance here is much appreciated.

Thanks.

The FIPK may be serving as a red herring. Either the IAC is dirty or you have a vacuum leak. The FIPK is not the culprit. Check for disconnected or broken vacuum hose ( check posts for small rubber hose elbow problems) If not clean IAC and see what happens. As an off handed question, did it start after you got gas last? If so add one or two cans of dry gas to the tank

Also if the, K&N filter was over oiled, the MAS might have some oil on the element...I think there is a project in the projects section on how to kleen it safly...it is very delicate..

dumb question, but did you reset the computer when you installed your FIPK? Doublecheck all connections as stated above. That and make sure you didn't over oil. NOW, all you need is a new exaust. I had that and a FIPK and my ST was ALOT quicker.

My assumption is that the FIPK was new and factory oiled. It is my experience that they do not over oil the filters and should not cause you an oil contamination problem. The ECU does NOT need to be reset just because the FIPK was installed. It will adjust to the unit over time with NO ill results during the process. It just will do it slower.

If you are getting stumbling at speed it could be spark as well as gas. If your Trac is running lean and surging it should feel like you are bugging a head wind. That is an indication of a possible lean condition. If it is a rapid stumble I would lean toward an electric problem such as plugs. You do state that it happens at an idle (no load) which could indicate a dirty throttle body or IAC.